Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking three comps

craig_p
Grafter

networking three comps

Hi all
I have three computers on a wired network which all connect to the internet through a netgear router fine. I am having trouble connecting to the pc with XP on it.  The vista machines can see it but i just get access denied.  Also, i cant set up a network peinter which is conneted to the XP m/c.  Any help please
Thanks Craig P
16 REPLIES 16
Njal
Grafter

Re: networking three comps

Are you running a firewall on the XP machine?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you file and printer sharing installed on the XP machine
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

And are they all in the same workgroup and have file and printer sharing turned on?
samuria
Grafter

Has the xp got a username + password if you use a blank password Vista wont let you connect. If that is the case add a password to the xp pc. To make life simpler add a user to xp with the same username and password as the vista pc this makes it a lot simpler to connect.
You also need to get the update for xp to fix Link-Layer Topology Discovery networking from
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: samuria
You also need to get the update for xp to fix Link-Layer Topology Discovery networking

Only if you want to use that mapping feature in Vista? My XP/Vista network shares stuff around quite happily without it.
paulby
Grafter

As HPSauce has said - make sure that they ae all in the same workgroup.  Xp defaults the workgroup name to MSHome and Vista to Workgroup so, if you've not changed them your PCs will be in different groups and file and printer sharing won't work.
To change the Xp machines: Right Click on "My Computer" and select Properties.  Go to the Computer Name tab and hit the "Change" button.  Change the workgroup name to "Workgoup" (or whatever workgroup name you've assigned to your Vista machines).
craig_p
Grafter

Hi all
thanks for the replys and advise.  I have now set a password on my xp machine and can access the vista comp and all its files.  I still can only see the xp machine in vista and it will not allow me acess to it to set up a network printer or do anything else
R
Craig P
scootie
Grafter

cant help with xp machine. but i network to my mac mini from vista home prem all i had to do was put on same workgroup and on the mac click a tab to let windows users connect. took abit of trial and error but it is usally somthing simple like my mac to just turn one thing on.
good luck with finding that simple soultion
Santiago
Grafter

http://www.howtonetworking.com/index.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.n...
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318030
In my experience with home networking you have to get some understanding of the principles involved.
When you have that knowledge things do become clearer. Home networks are very hit and miss with issues such as browser conflicts and that My Network Places is unusable.
It is important that each machine is set up using the network wizard
If you are connecting through a router use the residential gateway option
All computers to have same workgroup name
Same username and password for each machine
Turn off guest accounts
Turn off simple file sharing
Turn on file and printer sharing
Set up sharing on folders to be shared with appropriate permissions.
Problems with firewalls are probably the biggest issue with set ups on home networks
In Zone labs for example you can set a range of trusted IP addresses for your network.
Have a browse through the links and you will find what you need to figure out your network.
When you look at the XP newgroups there are thousands of people struggling with this!
Vista is more network friendly than XP but I would work through the set up on each machine as I have described.
I hope this helps you. Let us know how you make out.
HPsauce
Pro

And just to add to Santiago's in-depth comments:
Sometimes, even when you do know exactly what you're doing it inexplicably just doesn't work properly!  Crazy
(The uninitiated sometimes just don't have a hope)
Santiago
Grafter

Well more like a nightmare for us amateurs!
That is why I made the point to Craig that is is important to get an understanding of this as it is not just a case getting the network set up, but maintaining it too.
For example I found if I run XP Manager for a bit of a clean up I get all sorts of browser conflicts. Now this is one of those things that I fix but not sure how I did it.
Also for Craig when you do get your network don't bother using MY Network Places as it only works on high days and holy days.
Go to Network tasks, view workgroup computers and create your own shortcuts directly to each machine as required.
HPsauce
Pro

Another useful tip: Map network drive, and type the name in explicitly, often works when all else fails
craig_p
Grafter

WOW
Thanks to you all for the in depth info.  Im still banging my head against a wall as I can access some folders on the XP machine if i put a short cut to that folder in the public folder on the vista machine and then drag it to the desktop. Not sure what is going on but i will let you all know when i find out !!! Cry 
samuria
Grafter

What directories have you shared on the XP pc?
The best way is to map a drive from the command prompt goto start then run enter cmd press return.
Net use p: \\xppc ip\c$ password on xp pc /user:username on xp pc            So it will look like
net use p: \\10.0.0.5\c$ password /user:admin
This will map the c drive on xp as drive p: (change p: if you want another drive letter) The username must be an admin on the xp pc. You can use the ip or the pc name
save the command when it works mapper.cmd  and then to remap the drive just double click on it.