cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking from XP home to 98SE..?

grimme
Grafter

Re: networking from XP home to 98SE..?

Is the Compoint XTG-101 - the network card on the main PC?
Even though the software was re-installed - have you checked to see if there's a problem with it finishing the install properly in the hardware device list.
In W98 I think it's
Settings - Control Panel - System - Device Manager
Under the Network part of the list -what adaptors do you have showing and are there any yellow (installation problem) or red (disabled) icons in this section?
Alternately are there any Unknown hardware items anywhere on the whole list - this usually represents hardware that hasn't been identified correctly and needs installation manually.
community
Grafter

Re: networking from XP home to 98SE..?

Thank you ALL for your patience and understanding of a problem which seems to be unsolvable Roll_eyes
I have spent quite a few hours trying to make the W98 behave and do as it's told ! Sad  but this is a particularly naughty PC and I suspect that the copy of W98 is a little corrupt...or is it that there is always a problem with trying to setup a network with W98, as suggested.
I have this afternoon, re-formatted the whole shooting match and re-installed XP Home without too much hassle.
I now have a direct connection to my Host PC when I want to go on the Internet. I do this by unplugging the Host Ethernet cable in the Modem/Router Voyager 210 and connecting to the slavePC with a separate cable .
This way I can build up the software in the slavePC to a level similar to its Master......the crunch will come when I want to setup a Network.....
But for the time being I am pleased to be able to use both PC's !
THanks again for your help...You are the best!
cheers
Eddie Johnson