Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking from XP home to 98SE..?

community
Grafter

networking from XP home to 98SE..?

I have just changed over O/S on a second computer from XP to 98SE
Before I changed over,  the XP computer linked to the internet using an ethernet cable into the Voyager 210 ADSL Modem/Router without problem.
However, I cannot get the connection to work in spite of re-installing everything on the 98SE
The 98SE Installation disk is the original version which I used to have on my computer, therefore quite old.
I wonder if there perhaps have been some updates which are necessary for networking.
Any suggestions for a solution gratefully received. Embarrassed
16 REPLIES 16
samuria
Grafter

Re: networking from XP home to 98SE..?

There are 2 things.
One if you have the router set to dhcp ensure 98 is set to get its ip, via dhcp. Make sure you have tciip installed under the networking.
Two if you dont have dhcp running on the router then you need to set the ip this is the best method any way. If you know the ip for the router set the ip of 98 to one above ie if the router is 10.0.0.2 then set the ip for 98 to 10.0.0.3 set the subnet 255.255.255.0 and the vital bit is the default gateway to the ip of the router. You also need to set the dns to plusnets dns server. Reboot and it should work.

If not run run winipcfg and let us have the results 
community
Grafter

Thanks for that.
I will follow your advice in due course and get back.
cheers
Ej
community
Grafter

I have tried phase 1 of your advice without success, so here is the result of winipcfg:
IP Configuration shows...PPP Adapter
Adapter Address  44-45-53-54-00-00
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway  is blank
Host Information:
Host Name.. plusnet
Node Type ..Broadcast
This is the total information given in winipcfg
Does this help?
cheers
Ej
grimme
Grafter

Hi,
I don't know the modem/router in question, so I may be barking up the wrong tree - but as you have the ethernet cable connected to it, I would have expected the Ethernet card to show up in the winipcfg, rather than a PPP adapter (dial-up?)
Has the W98se installed the drivers for the Network card correctly? - I think it's Control Panel - System - Device Manager. Have a look for the Ethernet Adaptor and see if it has a Yellow background with a Black exclaimation mark in it, or a red cross - both indicate the driver not installed. You'll then need to find the driver disc for  the Ethernet card (or download from the internet using another connected PC.)
Not applicable

Surely the problem is the lack of gateway - the computer does not know where to go for addresses which are not in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.
Complete that detail as advised above be Samuria and the results should be far improved.
community
Grafter

Hi All and thanks for your help so far...
Question which has just struck me.....hope you understand how little I know..... do I need an Ethernet Adapter in EACH of the computers or just in the main one?..... I have an adapter only in the main one  Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well let me turn that round, because the answer is normally yes, but not always.....
What in the computer(s) that don't have an Ethernet Adapter is connecting them to anything in a network?
grimme
Grafter

If it's the same PC that had a connection using the Ethernet card when it was an XP Home machine, that same Ethernet card would be able to connect to the Voyager - the only issue is that because XP Home may well have the drivers for the Ethernet card built into the operating system and worked out of the box.
W98se, because it's an older operating system might need to be told how to use the Ethernet card by means of a seperate software driver program.
You can usually get them from the manufacturer of the Ethernet card, or you may already have it with the discs that came with the machine when it had W98se on it originally.
I believe the Voyager 210 only has 1 Ethernet port and 1 USB port, so I suspect you can only use one or the other - meaning you can only connect 1 PC.
On the Voyager 210 there is an Ethernet/USB light that flashes green when it's connected to a computer's Ethernet card/USB port.
Do you see the green light flashing on the Ethernet/USB status light on the Voyager?
community
Grafter

"I believe the Voyager 210 only has 1 Ethernet port and 1 USB port, so I suspect you can only use one or the other - meaning you can only connect 1 PC.
On the Voyager 210 there is an Ethernet/USB light that flashes green when it's connected to a computer's Ethernet card/USB port.
Do you see the green light flashing on the Ethernet/USB status light on the Voyager?"

Yes, I used to exchange the ethernet connection from the main to the cable from the second PC in order to use the Internet on the second PC.
Yes, the green light is active.
Yes, I have re-installed the original software driver (XTG-101 from Compoint)
The story continues!
community
Grafter

Me again!
I went back to the 98SE installation disk and found that under 'Internet Connection Sharing' I got a notice which said
"Your network configuration is not complete.Please install your network hardware before installing 'Internet connection Sharing'.
So it seems that in spite of doing everything I was supposed to, it is still not satisfied! Hard taskmaster!
I am now very close to re-formattiing and going back to XP  Embarrassed
cheers
samuria
Grafter

You could try using the USB if the disk that came with the router has 98 drivers with it. Failing that you can download the drivers for 98 from
http://www.btopenworld.com/drivers
That should solve your problems
You should be able to get drivers for the network card without to much trouble if its built into the MB then it should be on the cd that came with the MB or on the makers site
community
Grafter

Hi Samuria
your suggestion is noted.thanks.
However, the cable from PC1 to PC2 is already installed (several metres!) and this is ethernet!
I would need another cable for USB....or is there a suitable ethernet to usb connector x 2 ?
samuria
Grafter

If you can get the network working thats the best method I only mentioned USB if you fail to get the rest working. You can get a usb to network adapter but they seem a bit hit and miss.
Were are we up to now?
Do you have the network card installed?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

All the USB to ethernet adapters I've seen, and that's several and all worked fine, are for USB ports on a PC to Ethernet networks. And they all needed drivers on the PC.
Never seen anything to do the reverse if that's what you're suggesting.
Simple solution would be a dirt cheap (£5) maybe hub/switch to share the single ethernet port on the router.
And if the W98 PC is problematic on Ethernet either go back to XP where it's much easier to manage.
Footnote, I've found W98 (and ME) a pain with inbuilt Ethernet cards. The only networks I've found reliable are where (as noted previously) you have the manufacturers software drivers and management tools to get at the "nitty gritty" as the inbuilt windows facilities are pretty minimalist.