cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network security question

japeandshini
Hooked

network security question

if i use a work computer on my home network, can work admin use any logs to gain the used password, imei, mac address etc?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: network security question

Assuming I understand your question correctly then, the only information that your employer would have access to is that on your work's PC. However, if you are connecting to a corporate network using a VPN to your head office for example then in theory with the correct remote access software and privileges then the office could at least see other machines on your network.

If you share common passwords across works and personal devices then again these could be used to access the local devices remotely. But if you are really worried that head office is or could be spying on you then maybe it's time to change your employer!

Another option is to create a separate LAN on your network that you use for work this would then isolate your work's PC from your own devices. But this approach has a down sides too, by restricting not only the works' PC but you as a user making the sharing of resources more difficult.

japeandshini
Hooked

Thank you, very helpful response. I am a manager in an Int. Co.and access confidential files.

We use various systems and layers of security but here my concern was that the router or laptop or other devices on network could be used to gain entry. Either way, by using my plusnet network access to use the laptop while connected back in to work network or as you suggest, using my connection back through my laptop to my other devices. For example mobile phone if online using the same wifi would have some insecurity where auto logon to personal email is convenient.

I am not paranoid about higher management reading my personal files as much as recognising that my network security knowledge is low. We use a third party IT support and that concerns me as they have privileges for network admin.

And if there are logs of logins to home wifi would maybe be able to access home network by using the device details in logs.

Do you know of any sign in log when connecting to plusnet wifi that i could delete after access?

I suppose the question is paranoid as I use also hotel wifi when travelling and the IT dept. would have security set up such as my usb dongle needed for login to some areas which may be the vpn you mention - but it was a passing thought I wanted to follow up that may have relevance to others as well. I have a duty of care to at least raise the issue here for response and will of course ask at work.

Today with terrorism and hacking we cannot afford to be complacent but also cannot be expected to assume all is covered.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@japeandshini - What do you mean by ‘gain entry’? Entry to what? I am still not sure what exactly it is you want to know, or prevent.

There may well be logs of logins, but those log will not show your password, it may simply be a record of your activity.

As soon as you put your corporate machine on your home LAN you have invited them in. It’s akin to someone you are familiar with but not necessarily friends with coming to your door and you invite them in.

If you do not trust, or have suspicions about them then the best course of action is to kick them out. However, in your case, you have to give the benefit of doubt, so to prevent them from looking through your stuff, you can either hide it, or lock it away. Ideally you would hide it away in a locked location.

I hope this makes sense.

japeandshini
Hooked

Thanks. In truth the question arose when I noticed the router was showing a lot of activity with all devices switched off or disconnected from wifi. More than a handshake to keep alive but perhaps a firmware update to router as all else was off.

From that I pondered the implications of home network security. Both ways. Your answers explain well. Thanks.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@japeandshini wrote:
if i use a work computer on my home network, can work admin use any logs to gain the used password, imei, mac address etc?

If you use a web browser on Plusnet at home, then take the machine into work:-

They can see what sites you visited (browser history) and anything in your web cache.
If you have set your browser to autofill your user name & password, they can see these items.
But they don't need your password to do any of this.

If they really wanted to though, they could load a monitoring program which could log all details of home network activity, for later analysis when you return to work.

Welcome to the world of privacy, or total lack of! Crazy3

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."