cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to connect ipad with my locked laptop

salsa
Dabbler

need to connect ipad with my locked laptop

Sad a friend needs help with his ipad but I cant help as I cant connect to my latop although I fill in the wep key no and all other things is it because mine has a padlock locked is this what is stopping me ,hope you can help
thank you
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: need to connect ipad with my locked laptop

Hi salsa,
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Wireless.
Just for clarification, are you having issues connecting your Laptop up to your Wireless Connection? If so, please ensure that you are typing in your 'Wireless Key' or sometimes referred to as a 'WPA-PSK Key' in capital letters.
I hope this helps you resolve the problem that you are having Smiley
salsa
Dabbler

thank you Chris,no I have no problem with laptop,notebook or recent MID tablet(got someone to set it up for me,but didnt watch as it only took 5 minutes),all things working fine,but I just cant figure out how to connect his ipad.I did try google and according to the amount of others having similar problems connecting I am not alone,but I was left with his ipad and was scared I would lose all his photos,so didnt tamper any farther,unless I can connect I wont be able to help him.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Salsa, I think your friend might be better-off seeking help from someone with greater expertise.  Apple devices usually come with free assistance from the local Apple Store.
You can connect an iPad to your wireless network if you know the details of your network including the wireless key.
You can connect an iPad directly to a computer  via the special USB cable supplied with the iPad.
godsell4
Rising Star

A wild guess tells me the router is not broadcasting the SSID, on all Apple devices I have seen/used, if it can see the SSID, then the setup is fairly automatic and all you have to do as others have said is type in the WEP or WPA key correctly and you are then all set.
Does the router show up in the list of devices the iPad can see? If not then you need to enter the details manually.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
salsa
Dabbler

Thanks to all for your help.Yes I have the wep key no,the password nos,all this info on Thomson router  and owners password I have a lead to connect to his ipad with usb,,I am just worried in case I lose his photos and music,I am not one of the younger ones but I don't mind having a go when its my own pc's.On rereading all help I have been trying automatic and manually,but I cant see ipad Undecided
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

What sort of access are you trying to get to the iPad? It won't show up as an external disk would appear and you need to have iTunes installed to properly connect to it.
That's RPM to you!!
salsa
Dabbler

Now you've got me ::),he did tell me he pays for his music through itunes.I  dont know what he wants to do really he is an 80 yr old man :-\,I thinks he wants it to do everything his laptop can do,like send emails etc.I connected the usb and when I did it came up to say it would send all his photos to my laptop which I dont want,am I getting somewhere ???.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Salsa, I find your replies very difficult to follow.

I don't know what you think is "locked".
Unless you or somebody else has tampered with the default settings of your Thomson router then you don't need to know anything about your router beyond the wireless network name (SSID) and the network password (key).  Both of these should be on a label on the front of your router.
If the iPad were connected to your wireless network it might be possible to copy files from the iPad to another computer on the same network: I've never tried to do this.
As RPMoxley says, the simplest thing to do is to install iTunes on your computer then connect the iPad to your computer using the USB cable supplied.  That should enable you to browse the content on the iPad and copy some of it to your computer, if that is what you are trying to do.  No wireless involved.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

So all your friend wants is access to a Wi-Fi connection for emails and Internet or does he want the iPad to be set up for email? If it's either of those things then you don't need to access it from your laptop, as everything is set on the iPad. The iPad will show if it has connected to Wifi with an icon at the top left of the screen, it looks like a radar with the amount coloured in as signal strength.
That's RPM to you!!
salsa
Dabbler

he wants email and internet.I tried again app store--put in password cap letters etc then get --unable to join the network "plusnetwireless"  -ok
Vip3r
Grafter

I recently had a problem with a company where they could not get their iPad to connect to the thomson router,
I checked the settings on the ipad and they were the same as the router. So it should have been working.
What appeared to fix the problem was to login to the router (take a note of the wireless settings), disable the wireless, wait for a moment, and then re-enable it (making sure to use the same settings)
Then the ipad connected within a few minutes, (no need to further change any settings as they were all correct already).
Might be worth giving that a go if you feel up to it.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: salsa
he wants email and internet.I tried again app store--put in password cap letters etc then get --unable to join the network "plusnetwireless"  -ok

This does not sound right to me.  Accessing the "App Store" requires that you have an internet connection.  The message indicates that you don't have an internet connection because the wireless connection to your router is not functioning.  Now that could be a router problem but I feel it is more likely because you are not setting up the wireless connection correctly in the first place.  There is a very comprehensive set of instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/connect-ipad-to-wireless-network/ .  You probably only need to follow the first section.  Just make sure you nominate the correct wireless network and give the correct password.  Both of these should be on a label on your router.  It's probably a WPA password which is case sensitive.  if you have had your router for a few years you may need to update the firmware - but that's a whole other can of worms so lets hope it does not apply. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Are you using WEP security? If not have you tried using WPA2?
Can you also let me know what Model of Thomson router it is that you are using please?
salsa
Dabbler

Sorry so long in replying,friend came and took ipad and is going to take it to the apple store where it was originally bought quite some time ago,to see if they can set it up for him :-[,then maybe he can use it as he wants,but thank you all for the help at least we tried our best
Vi.