cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need new m/b; ram; cpu for £200

amcclean
Rising Star

need new m/b; ram; cpu for £200

My tower has died, reboots at bios but still remebers settings so it's not the battery. I have removed and re set all the cards.
Now I'm looking to upgrade to as high a spec as possible for £200 The m/b needs to take both ide for some current drives and sata for some new drives all currently in the dead tower. I also need at least one pci slot for my tv card. I have no pref for amd or intel. I guess pci express will be the new graphics requirement.
I have no clue which m/b makers are best or what combination or parts I may get for this price could someone give me some hints on god places to look or a good combination of parts for that spec.
Many thanks
podman
2 REPLIES 2
Denzil
Grafter

Re: need new m/b; ram; cpu for £200

I would suggest that some of the decision should depend what you use the PC for. You are asking about PCI-E - so I assume your old PC is AGP. If you do anything more than basic graphics you will need to allow for buying a graphics card as well. Most motherboards have some basic graphics built in, but not all, so check before you buy. If you play games you will want to spend more on the graphics card, and a bit less on everything else. If you just use office type applications then it won't matter too much what you get. If you do a lot of video or photo editing then you will benefit from more cores in the processor, as long as your applications can make use of them. Things like Photoshop, The GIMP, or CAD software will use all the cores, but most applications won't necessarily, so if you don't do this kind of stuff you might be better off going for a faster clock speed with fewer cores. AMD generally give you more power per £.
My retailer of choice at the moment is <a href="http://www/cclonline.co.uk">CCL</a>. They do some motherboard, CPU and RAM <a href="http://www.cclonline.com/product-categories.asp?category_id=491">bundles</a> which might suit.
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: need new m/b; ram; cpu for £200

HI Denzil,
many thanks for the link I had not found that site before.
Regards,
podman