Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need a telephone/fax cable

khaled35
Rising Star

need a telephone/fax cable

Hi,
I need to get a new telephone/fax cable as the one that came with the all-in-one printer isn't long enough to reach my master socket.  Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding anything because I am unsure what to actually search for.
Anyone know what this is called or what search terms will yield proper results?
30 REPLIES 30
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: need a telephone/fax cable

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

The Maplin one appears to be an RJ11 extension cable - male one end and female the other.
The OP's photo seems to show and RJ11 male one end and a BT telephone socket (431A) at the other.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: 4C
The OP's photo seems to show

But probably doesn't; it looks like a typical adapter/splitter with a BT plug on the other side that you can't see.  Wink
Either way, it's the RJ11 connection into the device that needs extending.  Cool
khaled35
Rising Star

I should have been a little more explicit with the explanation of the image.  Sorry about that folks.
OK, the two bit you see in the image are:
1) RJ11 male.  I "think" it's an RJ11 but I'm not sure.  Most RJ11's that I've seen seem to have 4 pins and this one has 6.  Not sure if that makes any difference.
2) Some kind of BT socket that allows me to plug in a phone.
The one I currently have is a single unit.  By this I mean that the end going into the adapter is actually fixed in and not "plugged" in.
This will be used to enabled the fax capabilities of my printer while also allowing my phone (with answering machine) to operate off the same connection into the master socket.
Currently the cable is very short and I could be doing with another couple of meters.  I just have no clue what to look for.  The Maplin example in this thread isn't what I'm looking for but I appreciate you taking the time to post it.
Regards
HPsauce
Pro

Sorry, don't understand.  Undecided Is that a picture of the ACTUAL cable that isn't long enough? And what do you expect the cable to connect between?
Quote from: khaled35
The Maplin example in this thread isn't what I'm looking for
Why?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a more basic question - which all in one printer as I can't think of one which would have that requirement
khaled35
Rising Star

@HPsauce: Yes, that is the actual cable but I only showed pictures of the two ends.  The cable on it is about 2M and I need something longer.  The reason the Maplin one isn't suitable is because it does not have the adapter on the end of it.
I expect the RJ11 (if that is what it is) side of it to go into my printer.  I expect the adapter side of it to go into the master socket where my phone is currently plugged in.  I will then plug my phone into the adapter.
@Oldjim: This is the printer in question - http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/215760/s_name/productdetail2/s_level/223670/s_product/MFCJ461...
The cable shown in the picture is what was provided with the printer.  I've had similar cables provided when I've purchased HP all-in-ones in the past so it's not unusual.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I see
It may be a special connection in which case a simple phone extension lead may be the easy way out as I assume that the other side of the box with a female phone socket is a male phone connector
khaled35
Rising Star

@Oldjim: This is what the other side of the adapter looks like
HPsauce
Pro

@HPsauce: Yes, that is the actual cable but I only showed pictures of the two ends.  The cable on it is about 2M and I need something longer.  The reason the Maplin one isn't suitable is because it does not have the adapter on the end of it.

Why not, the clue is in the name, it's an EXTENSION cable?  Cry
Sorry to sound like I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but:
1. Unplug cable (RJ11 plug) from device,
2. Plug Maplin cable (RJ11 plug end) into device.
3. Plug cable (RJ11 end) into Maplin cable (socket end).
Job done, it's longer. Simples.  Cool
zxcvbnm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You could just go on ebay or amazon and buy nearly any modem or fax cable with the right small plug on one end and a big plug on the other. Get one the right length and then buy a "telephone splitter". That will give you two sockets into on and stick the two together you would have basically the same thing as now just not integrated.
Or slightly more extravagantly you could try something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330939184475
(I should warn I don't know what I am talking about but thats what I would do).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

My fax machine has a cable the same. You can just use an ordinary telephone extension lead between the ADSL filter (or the telephone socket on a filtered master socket) and that adapter - that was how mine was connected. If the telephone won't then reach just plug an ordinary telephone duplex in to the filter.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
khaled35
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce

Why not, the clue is in the name, it's an EXTENSION cable?  Cry
Sorry to sound like I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but:
1. Unplug cable (RJ11 plug) from device,
2. Plug Maplin cable (RJ11 plug end) into device.
3. Plug cable (RJ11 end) into Maplin cable (socket end).
Job done, it's longer. Simples.  Cool

Appreciate you taking the time to respond but my issue is, after speaking with Brother tech support, that these cables are wired differently.  They have 6 pins and some circuitry in place which requires that the original cable stay in place.
What you've shown me is an RJ11 cord that terminates with a BT431A phone plug.  So let's say I plug in this new Maplin cord into my printer.  I then plug the end of it into the adapter of the supplied brother cable which terminates with an RJ11.  Now what?  I can't plug the RJ11 into my master socket because it requires a BT431A plug.  I also cannot now plug in my phone.
Maybe I am totally misunderstanding how you explained this should work but after looking at what I have in front of me (Maplin cord included), I can't see how this will work.
Here is a picture that better explains what I need it to do.  I hope it goes some way into explaining ...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That picture confirms that it is exactly the same as mine (Brother fax machine). Plug an ordinary telephone extension cable in to the filter in the master socket and plug that adapter in to the other end of the extension.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)