Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my webspace access

WILT
Grafter

Re: my webspace access

Firstly ,
      Thank you Jelv for your detailed response and thanks also Pierre-Pierre for the listing layout.
    I decided to erase the oldforgegallery entry and concentrate on getting wlt001.plus.com sorted out .To this end I deleted all files and directories below htdocs in a bid to get rid of the index-space- ,htm file because it only showed when accessing the site  by clicking on this link
                                                                                            http://www.wlt001.plus.com/
when viewed in  Fireftp none of the web pages had the space in the file name . I,m totally baffled .
  Having  erased all the previous  uploads I then found it impossible to upload the files from the local directory  I cannot fathom out where I,m going wrong.
                            I log on using my password,
                            the site comes up in the right hand window
                            I select the files using Ctrl Rt mouse click  in the local directory
                            and click on the upload arrow
  Nothing . but a horizontal bar scrolls at the bottom Rt. of the Fireftp  screen indicating some process happening 
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You have no "index .html" file in you "htdocs" folder, if I was you I would use to billd your site:

• Netscape Composer

• Notepad

• Dreamweaver

Make a folder on your computer cald My WebSite in it crate the folders that are going to make up part of your site, for eggzampul "images" for all your images, wen naming files keep them in Lower Case do not put the in Upper Case, and do not have spaces in the file name, if you must have a space in the file name do it like this: palls_logo.gif or palls-logo.gif or page_1.html or page-1.html
I hope this helps
WILT
Grafter

Does index.html have to be in the htdocs directory? or can it be in htdocs/_oldforgegallery ?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes index.html needs to be in htdocs, and yes you will need a index.html in "oldforgegallery" folder for Security reasons it can be blanck.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Sorry for the delay responding - been on holiday.
There should be an index.html in the htdocs/oldforgegallery. This will be accessed when you go to http://www.oldforgegallery.co.uk/ It will also be accessed when you go to http://www.wlt001.plus.com/oldforgegallery
You can have a different index.html in http://www.wlt001.plus.com
Don't forget that within html files, links and images with relative paths are relative to the directory where the html file lives.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and you should put you e-mail address in as an image, not the true link, that will stop the zombies getting it and spamming you.
You links to the galleries on the left are not working, you have an incorrect relative address.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

have a go with "Filezilla"   (it has a interface that shows your "my computer" style layout on the left, and when you click on "server" on the top tool bar, you get the htdocs folder and anything else ..on the right hand side of the screen....... it works the same as windows explorer, where you can delete idividiual files, or complete folders..... be aware that if you have uploaded some folders twice to the same place, you may need the techie guys at plusnet to clear your webspace, so you can start again.... I had this problem recently which seems to be what you have got, where you cannot erase/delete folders, nor can you upload fresh stuff.....
another easy to use ftp prog is FTP Commander.... but I found Filezilla to be the easiest to get on with, especially if you need to just delete a file and upload another from your "my computer".... just drag and drop it onto the folder on the server side.
WILT
Grafter

Thanks for all the tips everyone,
      Sorry I havn't replied sooner ,been working on a CB400N and I wanted to ride it while the rain is still warm <grn>
  I have started to revamp my web pages by reverse engineering them to teach myself html as I go along I have managed to get the opening page
looking good , the second page and the link forward and back working but have come unstuck with one image on the third page and I cant see the syntax error ,yet. When I have all the pages and the links between them working on my PC  .I will come back here and check out the uploading naming ,metatags and so forth.
  Thanks again for your guidance, as "Arny "says " I will return."
WILT
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: WILT
....but have come unstuck with one image on the third page and I cant see the syntax error...

The one that often catches me out is the rogue space. The other thing to remember is that the file structure / names are case sensitive when you upload your website. This as caught me out a few times in when I uploaded a fully working website from my PC.
WILT
Grafter

Hi Everybody ,

I think my Webspace now has a clean bill of health  I have an index.html page . with links and reverse links to 4 other pages containing the content and all the links work so How do I get these pages to show on google if someone types in  oldforgegallery.co.uk  ? and going on from that how do I insert relevant Meta tags into the page (pages ) as deemed necessary  for the web crawlers to find me?
WILT   
shutter
Community Veteran

If someone types into the google search box   oldforgegallery.co.uk  or  old forge gallery.co.uk, the pages of your website will not magically appear.... but you should have some "references" listed with the full URL .... e.g. http://www.oldforgegallery.co.uk
if you want to check it out, try it yourself, and see what happens,   you can also type in mine, nemosphotography.co.uk  and compare the type of results that come up
incidentally, the http url above returns a 404 error.... page not found.... so I suspect you still have not got the index.html in the htdocs folder.
OR... (just a thought.... you may have index.html    but you may be needing index.htm  (or vice versa! !)
WILT
Grafter

Hi guys,
      I,m still flapping around here  ,I cant get the last piece of the jig saw in place.I now have the pages and links between them all working properly Ive even sorted out the rudimentary META tags but I cant seem to get www._oldforgegallery.co.uk to point to the pages on the site I have put oldforgegallery .co.uk into the domain box but after that I,m lost .I cant get the link to work. can someone talk me through the last bit !.
shutter
Community Veteran

It may help if you can post up your file structure, as it appears on your webspace,  starting with your htdocs folder ,,, similar to Pierres arrangement?
also if you can post up your page link HTML lines, maybe someone can spot what is going wrong
WILT
Grafter

Ok ,
  here is a schematic of whats there :-
                                      [DIR]  root ./
                                                        I
                                                      htdocs./
                                                            I
                                                        index.html
                                                        gallery1.html
                                                        gallery2.html
                                                        gallery3.html

[DIR] oldforgegallery.co.uk
                                        [DIR] oldforge
                                        [DIR] images
      the 2 directories beginning oldforge are not relevant to the web pages and are not linked in any way at the moment .The  site works perfectly if I type wlt001.plus.com into a web browser.  I do not  know how to get oldforgegallery.co .uk  to access it instead or as well as.       
WILT                                   
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You probably haven't set it up properly.
Go to here https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2
Under the domain name there is a configure button - clicking gives you this - just replace the blanked out bit with the folder name. It doesn't need to be oldforgegallery.co.uk but could be anything you want