Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my webspace access

WILT
Grafter

my webspace access

Hi,
    I am trying to create a website and to this end have uploaded certain files to my webspace and as part of trying to see whats happening  I tried the  "view on the internet " option to various uploaded files,whereupon I was asked to provide my Plusnet user name and password but this results in a  " 530 login error " I am sure I am using the correct login and password  .where do you think I am in error?
36 REPLIES 36
Spider
Grafter

Re: my webspace access

If the files have uploaded you should be able to view them at www.<login / account name>plus.com as long as you have uploaded index.html or index.htm file. What software are you using to "view on the internet"?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You did try to upload in the the htdocs folder I hope.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WILT
Grafter

Yes the files are in the same directory as HTdocs although it does say somewhere that this is unnecessary and yes if I type in the whole www.username etc i can access them, but if I just right click on the file name and choose the  " view on the internet option " I get the error message
I upload using  Fireftp  and surf using firefox  both Mozilla products and presumably  compatible.
Spider
Grafter

Is the 'view on the internet' option using Fireftp?
WILT
Grafter

Yes its while I am in file transfer mode with both Local files and the site files visible ,If I right click on the files on the site one option is to view files on the web ,if selected the password selection box is shown and then error message comes up :-                    530 login error
WILT
Grafter

Oops ,
  I seem to have really screwed up .In  my desire to get the web pages sorted out I decided to erase the existing files and start afresh but i can only find what seems to be an empty directory on the site now and I even worse I dont seem to be able to upload anything any more.I may have inadvertently deleted the htdocs directory can this be just replaced with make a directory command or does it require plusnets intervention.
  I find this aspect of computing to be somewhat arcane I am afraid and don't seem to have a natural aptitude for this stuff !. 
  I have a domain name that is going to waste at present which is rather frustrating. could someone please help.
Spider
Grafter

Not sure about htdocs so think it would be best to contact Plusnet support. Personally I didn't think it was possible to delete htdocs but I never have tried either.
WILT
Grafter

O.K., so here's an update ,

I managed to re-establish a web folder which is now accessed by  " oldforgegallery " and this contains the htdocs folder and all the files including index .html  but I still cannot get the right click --- " view files on the web " option to work in Fireftp .I just keep getting this stupid " 530 login error " I have tried every variation  of my passwords all to no avail although I am sure I am using the correct one anyway ,i.e. the one with which I log onto the web site .Has anyone else had and solved this conundrum?     
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In the connection advanced settings have you specified the prefix as /htdocs ?
WILT
Grafter

If you mean have I designated  /htdocs  in the Remote Dir .  box ,the answer is yes I just did that,but still got the 530 login error.Whats really ironic is that this post has been picked up by the web crawlers .Funny old world " init. "
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Reading this thread I'm still not convinced that the OP has placed their website in the system created HTDOCS folder.
Quote from: WILT
I managed to re-establish a web folder which is now accessed by  " oldforgegallery " and this contains the htdocs folder and all the files including index .html

I would be backing up my files and asking PN to reset my webspace.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
WILT
Grafter

Just checked the  web space structure is as follows there is a main directory,a sub directory (htdocs) and then my diirectories and files including index.html. Is this correct or should htdocs be the primary directory.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Inside htdocs are the files and directories which will be displayed when you go to http://www.wlt001.plus.com/
You should have created a directory inside htdocs called say oldforgegallery and uploaded all the content for the website to that directory. Then on the portal under Domain names you should have configured oldforgegallery.co.uk to have the directory under Domain Hostings Settings pointing to /htdocs/oldforgegallery  (i.e. enter oldforgegallery in the box). At the moment you have both www.wlt001.plus.com and www.oldforgegallery.co.uk pointing to the same place.
You have also messed things up by having your home page called
index .html
(i.e. with an embedded space). This is why you are getting the directory listings.
If you move www.oldforgegallery.co.uk to a subdirectory as suggested above you will find that http://www.wlt001.plus.com/oldforgegallery will display the home page of www.oldforgegallery.co.uk. To prevent http://www.wlt001.plus.com displaying the directory listing you will need to upload an index.html file to htdocs - this might consist of just a link to www.oldforgegallery.co.uk, or you might have different content you want on your plus.com home page.
Quote from: jelv
In the connection advanced settings have you specified the prefix as /htdocs ?

Quote from: WILT
  If you mean have I designated   /htdocs  in the Remote Dir .   box ,the answer is yes I just did that,but still got the 530 login error.Whats really ironic is that this post has been picked up by the web crawlers .Funny old world " init. "

No, I meant exactly what I said. In the FireFTP Account Manager on the third tab (Advanced) the setting Prefix should be /htdocs. You also need to have the correct host name on that page which will be www.wlt001.plus.com.
If you have set up the directories as suggested above and in FireFTP you want to view via the oldforgegallery.co.uk domain you should enter www.oldforgegallery.co.uk for the host and /htdocs/oldforgegallery for the prefix (i.e. the path you specified in the portal domain settings).
HTH
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My Web space if fairly simple, none of that CGI rubbish and the structures is below.
The main program is all Under the htdocs, but the other progs, "tree", Birds" etc are in their own folders but addressed from the main as in pic 2