Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mute button

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

mute button

Not sure if this should be under the Win10 board as my issue started after my "upgrade"; Not immediately after a couple of weeks after. Simply, when I hit the mute button on my keyboard the volume mixer appears on the screen but the sound doesn't mute. The other 2 audio buttons ( vol up and down) work fine so i can mute by reducing the vol to zero quite easily. Just a v v minor annoyance. the keyboard and sound settings don't seem to help. Ive tried restarts and plugging the keyboard into a different usb but it's still bust..
Lots of little things that I would normally have been able to fix don't seem to be fixable in Win 10 but it might be a hardware issue.
My desktop is a Packard bell iMedia S2885 with the standard usb keyboard that shipped with it.
22 REPLIES 22
PowerLee
Pro

Re: mute button

Mute button working fine here on Windows 10.
I am using a Microsoft wired keyboard.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Mute button works for me too , Qpad USB keyboard  win 10 x64
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Another not very helpful answer......but....

Lots of little things that I would normally have been able to fix don't seem to be fixable in Win 10

sort of begs the question.... why are you using windows 10.... surely it is not ready yet... if consumers have to "fix" everything to make it work... and somethings can`t be fixed....
nanotm
Pro

try getting drivers off the manufactures website, the problem is clearly that the specific keyboard isn't supported fully/
@shutter
because with every operating system there are little things you need to tweak or fix for your particular setup unless you always buy off the shelf systems that are pre setup by the shop and never change anything until you replace it .... I burn through mice at the rate of 2 a year (wires get broken) and I almost never have the same make and model of mouse to replace the old one with, similarly with my kids and keyboards, they get whatever is cheapest yet robust enough to last a few months (so around the £10>20 mark) but rarely if ever do they get the exact same replacement
and every time drivers change and things need "fixing" before they work properly, since windows 10 is rather different under the hood to older os's it needs more time for drivers to become fully available, and of course most manufacturers aren't making them available since they want people to buy new hardware, my g19 keyboard which is now 6 years old will need replacing when I upgrade to w10 or I can use it but with buggy drivers until It stops working altogether ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, Sorry to shoot you down in flames. nanotm...... I was using vista and all things previous back to Win3.1 on floppy... and can`t remember having to "fix" things like a mute button, or install special drivers for standardised manfuctureres mice.  etc... 
Got this Win 8.1 and had to start fixing things.... was hoping Win 10 would do that ... but... nope... gotta fix things... like... the touchpad driver on my old laptop was considered "dangerous" to WIn 10 so they blocked it...  so... reverted to Win 7 pro... and hey.... everything "just works"... nothing to "fix"...
so you are not correct in saying that Every o.s needs to have things fixed to get it working...    just not true...
nanotm
Pro

then either your memory isn't that good or you got extremely lucky, my last mouse caused my pc screen o freeze and stop responding every time It moved turned out to be down to the polling rate default setting not being 125hz and crashing the pci bus ......
shutter
Community Veteran

Memory is good.... and if you want to buy dodgy mice ... then you must expect to "fix" them..... never had a dodgy mouse.... never had to fix it....
and I buy them cheap on ebay. too...  Grin Grin
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

also Not every Keyboard has a Mute button  Roll_eyes  like Nantom says this is not a win10 only bug , it also can happen when you plug any new hardware into any OS .
In fact thats why i went to Win 7 from XP because the new GFX card drivers didnt like XP  so had to use win 7 to get it to work  Roll_eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
nanotm
Pro

If All I wanted was a generic two button I'd probably have less issues but I prefer more buttons with programmable features, just as I don't like generic keyboards or off the shelf pre installed systems, which is where half the fun comes from.
My current rig has been upgraded several times since I put it together 6 years ago, only the case is still the same thing I started off with and pretty much every change I made has resulted in something needing to be "fixed" but its all a learning curve and some stuff is repetition whilst others are new and challenging
Either way it all helps diagnose just what the kids broke or changed that's causing whatever strange symptoms on their machines, as a parent though windows 10 has to be the best yet for family safety integration, particularly since the child cannot deactivate it
shutter
Community Veteran

old adage.... "If it ain`t broke...... don`t fix it ! "  Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
If it ain`t broke......

That's why I still have my old xp pc in a corner. My printer and scanner  and their software works perfectly on that.
If I got rid of it I would have to buy new ones to work on my other pc.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

no drivers on packard bell's site and win 10 sees it as a generic uk usb keyboard. looks like  fail then
nanotm
Pro

if it has drivers for w7 or w8/8.1 download them and use the driver update >manual functions and install the older drivers for it, the problem with oem kit is often they only provide the drivers in the version of the OS they supply and newer versions delete that sort of thing /
I had no end of problems a couple of years ago with a HP pc kb/mouse (got them for a quid off ebay) and drivers not being available because they don't sell them direct to the public s don't make the drivers available without an hp support login .....
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Can't find a driver anywhere.
BTW was checking out the HID settings and found if i have the device manager window open then mute will work, but once closed it wont. Strange