Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more LINUX MINT 11 problems ! !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: more LINUX MINT 11 problems ! !

Just to finalise this thread..... booted up the Linux MINT 11 laptop, this morning, and it automatically connected to my wireless router...... disconnected and inserted the 3G mobile wireless dongle, and it too, connected... so happy chappy on the wireless connection front now...
but... why could not Linux put in the B43 broadcom message to download it  (like Mint 9 did ) , and also the installer package too?  it would have been so much easier, and less frustrating to have the message on the screen, instead of absolutely no wireless connection. and no instructions, hints, helps, as to how to get it working...
perhaps someone who "knows someone" in the LINUX world would point them in the right direction.!  Roll_eyes
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Probably because like my apple shuffle, your chip set is "outdated" they try and keep things working with newer chipsets, the b43 is is family of chips not a single one, and the latest driver doesn't support the older chips. Maybe they should try both but when 80%+ use the new one they tend to move that way.
Just imagine what would have happened if you had bought/been given an older wifi card with no drivers. When M$ booted up it would say ok where is my driver and you would probably be stuck there since you wouldn't know what chip etc it had even if it had a manufacturer and not a Chinese clone card.. At least with Linux you have tools to find these details.
Face it mate life sucks  Sad (sorry feeling down today my best mate died last night)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

OK HB.... Comiseration to you for your best mate.....
Just would have been nice if the writers had put some "guidance" as to how to get the wireless working, rather than do nothing....
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My advice would be to think carefully if you can't get wireless working from the boot-from-DVD version. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."