Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modems and routers

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

modems and routers

Using ASDL I just have a modem, for Fibre I need a router and a modem ( both supplied foc) why can they not be in a single box.
Not a problem but just curious.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: modems and routers

They can be in a single box. There are a reasonable number of integrated VDSL2 modem+router devices suitable for FTTC available now. The larger ISPs each supply their own single box device. There's a list of available models here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I wonder why PN do not use a single box rather than a BT router and PN modem for fibre users ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Probably cos the technicolor things are cheap and plentiful, even if a bit poo for people who need better performance out of their networking.... Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The main problem is that the router/modem would need to pass all the relevant BT Openreach tests and very few (non ?) of the non proprietary ones have
Of course they could always offer the HH5 but I doubt that BT Retail would let them
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/bt-openreach-stop-replacing-faulty-fttc-modems-jan-2017...
Removal of Basic Install with Openreach Modem variants is put back to 1st January 2016
No longer swapping Openreach modems on failure from 1st January 2017

Not for long, BT are stopping supplying modems and ISP's will have to supply an all in one or we buy one
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From the comments from AndyH in that thread the TG589v3 passed so - if correct - it would be a logical option for Plusnet
However according to this briefing dated February 2015 https://www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/Previous_Events/ISP_Forum/ISP_Forum_3_February_2015_Sli...
Technicolor still only have a partial pass for their device (589v3)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I remember reading somewhere (sorry, can't find a link) that the AVM Fritz!Box 7390 (probably also the 7490) passed the BTOR testing.  1&1 internet in Germany offer these to customers as standard or upgrade equipment (depending on package) and their prices are fairly comparable with Plusnet's!
I somehow doubt that Plusnet would consider these given the price bracket (though they probably offer very good prices to ISPs for bulk purchase, how about it Plusnet? Wink )
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the billion 8800's passed the BTOW test as well and the NL version is only a few quid more than the Technicolor at retail pricing  so that would probably make it a more viable option price wise, and billion are probably looking for an ISP to partner with, that and they offer all sorts of options for ISP side of things on the routers.
although there setup is rather different from Technicolor's, they are able to offer adsl2/adsl2/adsl2+/vdsl/vdsl2+ modem and router and wifi hub all in one device although the 8800NL doesn't have bells n whistles of axl version it does do the job admirably
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you