cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing guest account when upgrading from windows 8 to 10.

timberwoody
Grafter

missing guest account when upgrading from windows 8 to 10.

I have upgraded my pc to windows 10. In windows 8 I had my own account , an account in my grandsons name and an account entitled GUEST.On upgrading to 10 the guest account had disappeared. Within this account was a programme that contained all my passwords. I need access to these passwords! Please can anyone help me with this?
TIMBERWOODY 
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: missing guest account when upgrading from windows 8 to 10.

The easy way is to boot from a Ububtu Live CD and you can see everything
Alternatively enable the master Administrator Account http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html
Better still wait for someone who uses Win 10
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/guest-account-missing-on-window...

"EDIT: I found a way to enable the Guest Account. Right click the start button > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users > Right click Guest > Properties > uncheck Account is disabled > Apply and then restart the computer. There are other ways to enable it too: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/35326-guest-account-turn-off-windows-8-a.html"
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

'Local Users and Groups' option not available  Sad
Probably available on the Pro version of W10.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Yep, it isn't there on Windows 10 Home. I didn't check first.
Wonder if it is a Pro/Enterprise only thing?
Also on the eightoforums page, they use a command prompt as a variation on the theme with no mention of version type.

Some success claim here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/turning-on-guest-user-on-window... by GSYoung64 for the net command
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

read it all before you try anything Smiley
if its just the folder(s) where the info was stored then a simpler option would be
open the file folder icon on the task bar (or desktop) click on "this computer" click on the "c" drive, open the "users" folder left click once on "guest" folder then right click selected properties, security advanced and grant your account full control over that folder (assuming your the pc administrator)
this should then give you the ability to open all the folders and access any information you had stored in there.
top tip for the future, store anything vital on cd/dvd external disc and a thumbdrive (use them all you cannot have to much duplication for important files) and definitely don't leave them on a hard drive that your doing an in place upgrade on /

if taking ownership (and applying to all child items) doesn't work from normal logon then hit windows key +r type in "msconfig" and hit enter, in the popup open the "boot" tab check the "safe boot" box and restart the system (it will now start in safe mode) you should now be able ot use the take ownership / file security change options to gain access to the stuff you require.

in future store this info on a thumbdrive or in a onedrive folder you can access from your mobile or any pc you log into, do not use a guest account as anyone can gain access to it wither you wish them to or not /

actually try this before creating a guest account which might well delete the existing user folder or render it inaccessible,
hit the notifications icon in the task box, hit the settings button, in the address bar  click on the words "control panel"  if you know which bit account management comes under then click on it otherwise change the drop down icon in the right hand side of the window to small /large icons then click on users, from there guest account management should be easy enough to get to
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you