cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mcafee

twitchy14
Grafter

mcafee

l did an add on for mcafee, acknowledged by pn, got email advicing me to log on and download, notice came up saying they couldnt download it, rang mcafee up and they said in was due to my email address, and plusnet could confirm, have tried again since to download, after cancelling a service l,m not receiving, on second try download refused again, this time it stated reason being about the browser, meanwhile the gb are being used at a rate of notts, averaging 2gb a day it seems, def not what we are using, which is quite low, so assuming its adware, but since first agreeing to install mcafee and it refusing my gb up another 2,
now near l5gb over useage with two weeks to go till my upgrading of 60gb is installed.  If these problems are not solved soon, re reaching 25 gb, with l5pound extra charge for them, l will have to stop ;using the computer or cancel agreement, l am not in a position to pay 50-60 pound on my bill, which l changed to plusnet for economy reasons, from paying sky 33pound a month, now wish l hadnt, having spent an average of 1-2hrs daily trying to solve the problem and chasing up pnet and mcafee, really stressed and fed up with all the problems.  l will hopefully see my son this evening, to see if he can help, doubtful, as he did spend 30min this morning before work, tried a different browser, now at a loss himself.  Sad Angry
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: mcafee

Have you identified what type of traffic is using up your allowance ? - as I suggested in your other thread !
If it's all streaming, then stop your sons to stop using Youtube and iPlayer for the next two weeks,  or switch off your router when YOU are not using it.
While not impossible that it is adware, it is quite unlikely as adware normally likes to run quietly and invisibly and tends not to clock up GBs of usage.
It is MUCH more likely to be your sons, or someone sharing your wireless signal due to poor security.
Besides McAfee is rubbish at detecting adware and is a PC resource hog, whereas Ad-Aware is free and does a great job !
twitchy14
Grafter

hi, thanks for info, have to say l dont understand the technical side of computers, and had no idea about gb useage having been with sky and virgin prior to pn, was led to believe lomg would be ok for my useage, so didnt expect that to have been used in a week, now over 22gb at two weeks, l5pound add on, 2wk to go, and would have set up the 60gb at start if l,d known, but no idea what the average use is for normal user.
Most of the use is on the web, as below.  l was going for mcafee as its an ad on by pn so reccomended by them, in past have used norton lyr, mcafee 2yr prior, have looked at free,s most used seems avg avira, but cant get mcafee to download through pn, not sure why, have spoke to them they mention email address as different, tried again and it mentioned browser probs, but think the loss of signal on many occassions might be due to pn router, thomson, very flimsy with poor connections, seems a feather will dislodge, do have the sky router and my own, but was adviced to get the pn one, anway after my long tale of woe l will attempt to copy useage below, if you could let me know if it looks average or unusual, my son says he did down load some big files for work in first week, not since, advice please.

Web 61% 8% 69%  
Email 0% 0% 0%  
Broadband phonecalls 0% 0% 0%  
Gaming 1% 0% 1%  
Streaming 21% 9% 30%  
PlusNet FTP 0% 0% 0%  
Peer-to-peer 0% 0% 0%  
Usenet 0% 0% 0%  

Total usage so far 83% 17% 100%  
Activity Allowance Overnight usage Total usage
FTP (non PlusNet) 0% 0% 0%  
Other 0% 0% 0%
twitchy14
Grafter

This month in detail
Current billing period: Oct 06 2011 - Nov 05 2011

06 Thu 07 Fri 08 Sat 09 Sun 10 Mon 11 Tue 12 Wed Total  
Allowance Used 74.73MB 267.38MB 4.31GB 828.6MB 621.39MB 510.41MB 1.7GB 8.32GB  
Overnight Usage 0KB 147.04MB 853.7MB 23.82MB 20.95MB 210.28MB 887.44MB 2.14GB  
Total 74.73MB 414.42MB 5.17GB 852.41MB 642.34MB 720.69MB 2.59GB 10.46GB

13 Thu 14 Fri 15 Sat 16 Sun 17 Mon 18 Tue 19 Wed Total  
Allowance Used 251.01MB 982.81MB 3.36GB 2.87GB 851.57MB 1.61GB 1.21GB 11.13GB  
Overnight Usage 493.78MB 65.3KB 349.96MB 9.16MB 37.26MB 1.18GB 54.59MB 2.12GB  
Total 744.78MB 982.87MB 3.71GB 2.87GB 888.83MB 2.79GB 1.27GB 13.25GB

20 Thu 21 Fri 22 Sat 23 Sun 24 Mon 25 Tue 26 Wed Total  
Allowance Used 2.22GB 591.31MB 317.76MB - - - - 3.13GB  
Overnight Usage 85.28MB 2.17MB 13.29MB - - - - 100.73MB  
Total 2.3GB 593.49MB 331.05MB - - - - 3.23GB
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Cry Cry  This looks unusual to me, even for two or three heavy browsers on the same connection.  I know the 8th and 15th Oct were Saturdays but, given that your allowed usage is 61% browsing, you certainly chewed up some bandwidth then!  I suggest:
1)  Limit the amount you spend and take a hit on your connection speed until you get your 60Gb upgrade;
2)  Get your son to schedule any downloads for after midnight (when your usage doesn't count);
3)  Check the security of your wifi connection, and do a scan for trojans (not just adware) -- you could use a web-based scanner like Windows Live One-care without waiting for your McAfee.
Just my thoughts.
Chris
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which "Sky router" do you have ?
A while back I bought a "Sky" branded "Netgear DG834GT" from eBay, then re-flashed it back to the latest Netgear firmware, and that worked very well on Plusnet settings.
If yours is a "Netgear DG834GT", then that is a great little router and much sought after, and could be a considerable improvement over the Plusnet supplied device.
I also agree with 'ChrisL regarding your usage, but reiterate that it would be worth avoiding watching any online video until your account upgrade in a week and a half, unless the video files are first downloaded overnight for free then watched the next day - rather than watching programmes 'live'.
twitchy14
Grafter

Hi thanks for info and tips, l personally only use emails and not excessivley, l look in on ebay watch and buy, bit of surfing and bookings, 2hrs ato 3hrs a day maybe
not sure with my son, he assures me he,s only downloading files after midnight over last week and doesnt download much in films or utube, so still at a loss, will check out your advice.  At present its on 23gb and lve put a useage stop at 25 till l get on 60gb, a nuisance and think plusnet should be able to upgrade users from applying and paying for it, whenever it falls.  The sky router says dlink, plus we have our own, might try as the connections on the thomson are useless. Tried twice to get the mcafee to download, no success, so will try a free one to download, see how
it goes, thanks for advice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

For FREE internet security, have a look at this posting - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92481.msg774891.html#msg774891
Reading the rest of the thread that that posting is part of, it doesn't sound like McAfee is a particularly good solution anyway.
I have used all these free security products with very few problems compared to my previous experiences with Norton and McAfee.
I also use the free version of AVG for anti-virus http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had a brief look at whether it is possible to use a Sky Dlink DSL-2640S router on a non-Sky ISP, and the answer appears to be NO !   Sad
There are lots of threads like - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/39485-unlocking-dsl-2640s.html
Certainly with my Sky Netgear router, it needed to be flashed to non-Sky firmware (either Netgear's official code, or DGTeam), in order to configure it correctly.
This does assume your router is a "DSL-2640S",  and I'm sure if anyone on this forum has succeeded with converting one of these, then they will tell me I'm wrong  Wink
twitchy14
Grafter

hi not sure which model it is, looks like 99673, now told by plus net they will take mcafee off at my next bill, despite being cancelled due to it not downloading, seems like an ongoing saga with plusnet, excess useage unaccounted for, iddy router, protection issues, loss of signal, oh thats been ok today, say no more about that for now, spent more time on probs with plus net in two days than 5yrs with virgin and sky, head banger almost, trying to chill. Undecided Roll_eyes thanks for taking time to advice Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you complain to customer support over the billing of McAfee then show them this - http://www.plus.net/addons/protect/
That shows it being FREE for the first 3 months - on your 'Value' package,  and then it is free anyway once you move to 'Extra' in two weeks.
twitchy14
Grafter

hi thanks, hadnt thought of that, tt frazzled with probs Cheesy