Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mcafee security software

hooverman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

mcafee security software

having used McAfee internet security software for a number of years via plusnet and by buying a disc each year proir to plusnet , I realise that there are perhaps more effective internet software packages out  there as per AV TEST ,ie  Bitdefender ,Kaspersky, Norton and others
  so while Im concerned about cost being Mc Afee is given as part of my package ,Im a little more concerned about the effectivness of my internet security package
    Why cant Plusnet give a discount if you chose to use your own security package
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: mcafee security software

Why cant Plusnet give a discount if you chose to use your own security package

It wouldn't make good business sense for us to do that. The McAfee package we provide is free with some of our products and chargeable with others but no one should be paying for that service that isn't using it..
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Plusnet are owned by BT.  Both BT and Plusnet now offer McAfee security software with some of their internet packages.  BT used to offer Norton security software but switched to McAfee just as Norton was pulling itself out of the mess it had become.  That decision cannot have been made on any judgement that McAfee is superior in performance so it must have been made on price. 
steveuk
Grafter

Personally i do not think an isp should be obliged to offer this sort of thing and if they do its just a bonus, I build my own pc's so it is down to me to sort out what anti virus i use and up to me if i choose a free one or a payed for version.
I certainly do not expect plusnet or any other isp to lower there prices because we don't use the software they offer.
I do not like Norton or McAfee security software so i told plusnet i do not want it but i also do not expect them to discount my internet price.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use Windows Defender on Windows 8. It works for me far better than when I used McAfee & the price is right.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

hooverman
Rising Star

thanks all for your contributions , but like at lot of plusnet users I used Mcafee because its part of the package ,  What concerned me was my son had 2 serious viruses on his computer but Mcafee failed to even see them he changed to webroot.
    so weather plusnet give a discount or not what  I want is a reliable internet security software any suggestions( for a non geek user) that I could change to,  I found the information passed in this forum invaluable
steveuk
Grafter

The problem is no antivirus programs are perfect and none of them are going to fully protect you as there is always going to be a sneaky virus that gets past no matter what you use..
A virus that gets past McAfee security software might be detected with Norton antivirus
A virus that gets past Norton might be detected by McAfee security software
I haven't had a virus or malware for years and all i use is Microsoft security and MalwareBytes as these 2 programs work fine for me.
There are a lot of people who would not touch Microsoft security but we all use our pc's differently so what works for one won't be ideal for someone else.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

For a good free Antivirus program i would recommend Avast
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html
Would agree with steveuk, Malwarebytes is a good on demand malware scanner
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

steveuk
Grafter

I would just like to add that if you don't want to pay for antivirus programs then as mentioned above there are some good free ones that work just as well as payed for versions (Paying for them does not always mean they are any better).
I have used many of them over the years including Avast and AVG but having used the internet for 17 odd years i have become more wise about what to look out for while browsing.
MalwareBytes is good and they have a free version or you can pay to get extra features but its more for detecting Malware so use it along side an antivirus program.
Avast was good when i used it but that was some years ago now.
I used to use AVG all the time until they added more features and i then found it to be a bit annoying.
RJM
Rising Star

I use "Ad-Aware Free Antivirus" which I personally think has the edge over Microsoft Security Essentials at the moment.

hooverman
Rising Star

thankyou all for  your recommendations I will try some or all of them in time , I realise that from your information supplied that you can get an effective virus and internet  protection without paying out wads of cash  on paid  for virus software
darklight
Grafter

I'm wonder i have a laptop that as pre installed mcafee, but its not active atm, seeing i'm on PN fibre unlimited and it comes with free mcafee, so can i get it activated with PN serial or do i need to uninstall old mcafee first and install PN mcafee and if so will the mcafee installer uninstall the old version, hope you can all follow that.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Best to uninstall the old one and do a fresh install of the Plusnet one (or any alternative).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.