Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

malware - Babylon

albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

malware - Babylon

I use Windows 7 professional. I was using Google Chrome as my browser but it got taken over by a Babylon search bar. Even after I tried uninstalling Babylon  - and it also took over IE which I never normally use. The malware is still there in IE (under 'add-ons' there is something called Linkury smartbar, which is disabled but not eradicated. I tried uninstalling Google Chrome but I haven't yet figured how to get rid of this wretched toolbar. Someone has pointed me to a clip on Youtube which purports to show you how to do it. But I must admit that I am nervous of making changes to my registry 'cos I don't really know what I'm doing.
Has anyone else had this problem? And is it OK to trust the Youtube clip?
Grateful for any help.
Ken
PS shouldn't it be illegal to infiltrate stuff like Babylon into people's computers?
4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: malware - Babylon

Install Malwarebytes Free (it's at the bottom of the link) and install the latest updates.
Also, I suggest you install Spybot Search & Destroy (free version).
Run each in turn and they should rid you of Babylon.
Edit: Having just re-read you OP can I suggest before you download the two programs above you go to Control Panel then click on Programs and Features and look for Babylon in the list that appears. Right click on it and select Uninstall.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If I remember correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do) Babylon is a product of a company called Conduit.  These days Conduit tries to appear legit. so all its programs, toolbars and sundry junk should be capable of being removed  via Control Panel > Programs.  Remove anything attributed to Conduit and any toolbars you do not recognise.  There is no need to make changes to your Registry.
Even with Babylon software gone, you may well still need to change the browser settings to get rid of Babylon as your default Home Page and Search Engine. 
albert
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've found a link at http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-babylon-toolbar/
that looks helpful. I'll try it!
Ken
mushy
Grafter

Failing that, you could try a system restore back to before you noticed it being taken over.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore