cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mac mini on home network

scootie
Grafter

mac mini on home network

i use my mac mini as a hard drive and connect to it by using the voyager 210 router.
im wondering if i can make sure that the mac mini is not able to get on the internet but still be able to get on the home network?
any one know how i would be able to do this?
the mac mini is connected to router by usb. o and its the old mac mini not the new intel ones. version 10.4.11
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: mac mini on home network

In the network configuration you will have an ip like 10.0.0.1 a subnet mask like 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway like 10.0.0.2.
The default gate way is the thing which tells it were to find the Internet so remove the default gateway and it will see other pc's as they are local but wont know how to get to the Internet.
If you are using DHCP ip its getting its ip etc from the router you will have to give it a permenant one or it will just pick the gateway up when it get the ip.
Find the ip and subnet its using and type that in so you know yo have the right one
scootie
Grafter

cheers samuria. thanks for the advice
scootie
Grafter

no luck turned it to manaul ip on the mac and cant get a conection to the router. also tryed from my vista machine to set a static ip route in the router and no joy.
set back to dchp will just have to hope that because most hackers/viruis are towards windows based comps it will be safe.
why is there no firewalls for the mac osx?
samuria
Grafter

it cant fail if you use dhcp find out thee ip and subnet then use that you cant go wrong it must work you may havee to set dns to the routers ip. can you ping it by ip when you set it to static