Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop power

FIXED
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

laptop power

God yet more problems with this damn laptop (really need to bin it at some point).

For a while we have been getting intermittant power issues, where the battery fails to charge, and we dont notice, and then laptop shuts down. The power brick seemed fine, so I replaced the power connector in the laptop, as it was an easy fix due to it not being soldered to the MOBO. THis worked for a while, but happened again.  As the first connector was bought off e-bay, I thought I had been unlucky and got another. This time nothing charged.  I tried again with the other power connector, and still nothing. After I put the laptop back together, I tested the output of the power brick, and it was very intermittant varying between its rated 18.5v and 2v.  I presumed this was faulty and ordered a new one.  It arrived today, but odd things still happening. The laptop boots, but thinks its on battery. The battery icon has no plug icon next to it, but the battery does not run down, howvever the power management, acts as if its on battery power. Tried the fixes for AC connected, but not charging on the internet, but nothing.  uninstalled the battery from device manager and windows reinstalled but again nothing.  Took the battery out, and the system completely failed to boot. Put battery back, booted to windows, and disabled the ACPI compliant battery, and the laptop seemed to spring into life. The battery icon disappeared, and it seems to be running on AC power now. I am stumped as to what could be causing this, unless its a goosed battery......

12 REPLIES 12
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: laptop power

@penfold    Try this.

start with the laptop powered up.....

Remove the power plug from the laptop....    Press and hold down the power switch  button..... keep pressed for about 30 seconds.....

.. Remove the battery....  see if it powers up on the mains adapter.   .... if good... press the power switch and hold, again for 30 seconds.

Either way...

Re-install the battery.... (remove the power plug from laptop first )... Press and hold the power switch for 30 seconds... (It may power up and boot )... Insert the power plug and try booting as normal. with the power on mains.... check the icon and see if it is charging the battery.. 

Don`t ask me for a reason why , if it works.... or if it don`t.. ! ... it works for me sometimes, when the laptop says the OE power supply is not the correct one for the machine ! ! !...

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well.... Won't boot with no battery, but continues to run when battery removed once booted up. Very odd will keep trying
penfold
Aspiring Pro

It boots with battery in, and when charging power management acts as if on battery. Will not boot without battery. Icon just shows a battery with no charge icon. If battery removed when booted, laptop does not shut down but batter icon changes to a battery with an x, and a plug icon. Seems to prove charger working, but although laptop charging light on, power light next to power jack is not

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... wonder if you need to update, or reset the BIOS....   OR... even the "clock battery"...on the mobo needs replacing....

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@penfold wrote:

...Seems to prove charger working, but although laptop charging light on, power light next to power jack is not

I met a Dell laptop last week where the Dell power adaptor had been slightly damaged at the socket end.  I got a warning message about the power adaptor on every boot-up and it would not charge the battery although the computer ran perfectly well using this adaptor.  I tried a second adaptor and there were no problems with that.  The laptop must be able to sense both the power and the current output from the adaptor and then react accordingly.  It would not surprise me if there were some additional modulation signal used to identify an adaptor as "genuine" that is also sensed. 

Perhaps one of these sensors is misreading so the computer does not register that the power adaptor is present?  That would account for why the power light does not illuminate and why the computer will not boot without the battery present..

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I very much doubt that there is anything clever to detect genuine chargers. My money would be that the laptop is detecting excessive ripple on the supply due to an internal filtering error.

This is quite likely what @penfold your problem is, so a new power supply needs to be tried.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1. This is a new power supply, although not a genuine hp one.
@ReedRichards. It's a very odd situation. When battery in and powered on, the laptop shows a battery icon, and it never runs down, but laptop acts as if it's on battery with reduced screen brightness etc... If I disable the battery in device manager the unit then immediately acts as if ac power is running, and the battery icon disappear. The light next to the charger port does not come on but the battery charging light does come on. I have not reinstalled the drivers for the ac adapter as I am not sure what disabling would do....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@penfold

So you have summarily discounted the possibility that the aftermarket power supply might either be faulty or not fit for purpose? - fair enough, I shall go back into my box.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1... I didn't say that!!! The laptop is charging again with this new supply when it wasn't doing anything with the old one. On testing the old one with a meter, 18.5v was present intermittently depending on how the cable was bent, so I surmised that the cable was broken. Testing this new one shows a consistent 18.5v present. I can't keep buying new power supplys......
shutter
Community Veteran

@penfold SO .... now you have a working PSU brick.... is your problem solved?  or do you still want some further help/suggestions ... ? ? ?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Fix
I did think I would needs some more advice, but I've solved the issue. It seems the problem was a dodgy power connector I had replaced. This was the 2nd one, as I thought the issue was with this and not the power brick. Anyhow I though nothing gained, and tried the original connection and it's worked. Power led on and battery charger light on. Spend this aft stripping down laptop again to replace with the original. Looking at both there is a yellow cable transposed, originally on left in photos eBay cheapie on right. It will be going back. Anyhow now laptop charging icon OK, and functionality normal. Many thanks for everyones comments and advice...
shutter
Community Veteran

@penfold Glad to hear it`s all good now..... and well spotted on that wiring error...