cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop or tablet

kitkat
Grafter

laptop or tablet

I use my desktop pc to browse and email. I am finding it getting  more and more uncomfortable now. I would like something more portable . Then I can sit in an armchair and be more comfortable. My Son suggests a laptop but Daughter says to get the tablet. Can someone gives me their views about a laptop and tablet. :-\thank you
8 REPLIES 8
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: laptop or tablet

Umm. Well how good are you at typing on a touch screen keyboard? If you haven't already tried that out then you should do, just to see how it feels for you.
That's RPM to you!!
kitkat
Grafter

Hi there. The tablet I was looking at comes with a separate keyboard. I do have problems useing the touchpad key board so I was thinking that I would have that option. I will do what you advised and try it out. Thank you for your reply. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Use of a separate keyboard unless physically attached to the tablet would not be easy at all from an armchair
If you have problems with a touch pad keyboard how are you with a mouse controlled by a touch pad - I hate them
kitkat
Grafter

Hi Oldjim. I am fine with a mouse. The tablet I have seen has a detachable keyboard. I know what you mean about useing the touchpad. I have it on my mobile and the touch keys are so small and drives me crazy. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I wasn't clear
What I meant was using a touch pad instead of a mouse - as described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchpad
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

The key issue to consider is your ratio of consumption ( reading e-mails, browsing the web etc.) to creation (inputting text). If your ratio is very high - mostly web browsing and reading e-mails with just the odd half dozen line e-mail ( or forum post) then one handed hunt and peck on a touch-screen keyboard will be fine for the creating and you will really like the touch-screen interface for consumption.
The only thing to think about is what e-mail client you want to use - where do your outgoing and incoming e-mails get stored. I can't speak for the e-mail clients on the iPad or Android tablets (I've never used them), but if you use G-Mail or one of its Ilk this is not a problem.
If you creation goes higher, lots of e--mails, long ones, or you want to create other kinds of documents then (I find) the touch screen keyboard can be a pain. Balancing a tablet on your knee so that you can use both hands on the touch keyboard is just awful.
I use Windows Tablets ( and have done so since 2003) currently I have a fairly old Lenovo X200 Tablet running Win 8 RC. They come with a stylus and very good handwriting recognition. If I'm writing anything longer than about six lines, I get out the pen and write on the screen - its quicker, more natural and I only need one hand to do the  writing, so I can use the other to hold the tablet upright. It's very much like writing in a notebook while sitting in an armchair. It also allows me to use Outlook as my e-mail client.
Serious creation - multi-page reports - and I decamp to the desk to use a proper keyboard.
The current generation of hardware for Windows Tablets is fairly big, clumsy and expensive but  very usable in an armchair. I for one am looking forward to trying the Surface Pro when it finally hits the street. Its fairly close (thinner, lighter and with better battery life) to the form factor ( inc. the detachable keyboard cover ) of my original 2003 Tatung  tablet.
kitkat
Grafter

Thank you all for your help and it has given me food for thought and made me re-think about the tablets Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If you are thinking about "comfort and ease of use" whilst sitting in an armchair, or even your bed ...... then you should really be considering a laptop.
As already pointed out, using a tablet is a one handed operation on both hands.... i.e. one hand to hold the screen up so you can see it, and the other hand to "manipulate" the touchscreen /touchscreen keyboard. and if you decide on a seperate keyboard.... that will be on your lap... the tablet will be in one hand, and that leaves you with one other hand to use the keyboard... not very ergonomic.
The laptop, on the other hand... no pun intended, is self supporting screen, and you can use both hands on the keyboard, and an external mouse, either wired or wireless, for a much more comfortable working experience.
on the subject of "lap" top..... you should ensure you use it on some kind of firm surface, so that the base of the "lap" top gives a small gap for air supply.  using it on your lap, or a cushion, will prevent the air being circulated and cause overheating....
My wife used to do this, and it cost her dearly... ( well me, actually, cos I had to pay for her new "lap" top  Cry ) so now I insist on her using a "lap tray"... similar to this....
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=laptray&num=10&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=644&tbm=isch&tbnid=Muc9o0WLxM-PAM...
I use my "laptop" as a desktop... and it is my only computer, so it gets a lot of use all day long... and I take it on my hols too... ( can`t do that with a tower or desktop system.... well not easily )