cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laptop Battery Degradation Settings

bubbalicious
Grafter

laptop Battery Degradation Settings

Oh guys and Gals - I'm confused and could really do with your help please. Crazy
Setting up my new Sony Vaio I found some battery settings that seem a good idea but for some reason my brain can't quite compute what this means.  Embarrassed
In the Vaio Control centre there is an option for 'Select Enable Battery Care Function for longer Battery Life' after that the next page reads as Below, (attached is a snip of the actual page with the settings options.)
Battery life will be about 80% of the one of the fully charged battery, however, this mode prevents battery degradation and is more effective if you usually use the computer with battery power.
[Note] When you use the AC adapter to power the computer and the battery power is higher than the desired value, it takes time to reach the specified amount of battery charge. It is recommended to discharge the battery to less than 80% by using the computer with battery power.

Maybe I am having a really blonde day but I can't grasp what it actually means and with the price of vaio batteries the more I can do to stop the degradation the better.
Thanks peeps -  Cheesy
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: laptop Battery Degradation Settings

Sally
You have two choices.
If you always use your lap top with power plugged in,take your battery out and store it.

If you leave your battery in.  About once a month, run you lappy on its battery down to nearly empty, and then put your power back on, that is what they are referring to
Peter
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Agree with Pierre..... however, if you remove the battery, two things.....
DO Remember, you cannot move the laptop to another location,...... (unless you have a very very very long extension lead) ..... as removing the power will be the equivalent of shutting down improperly.... and could cause corruption on the hard drive....  Undecided
DO Remember..... put the battery back in once a month, run it down, re-charge it, then remove it again....
Santiago
Grafter

I would leave the battery in the laptop.
Flatten the battery say once a week and then fully recharge.
You should get long service from the battery doing this. I use this process and have never needed to replace a laptop battery.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers Guys - you kind and lovely people, what mess would I get myself in to without you! Shocked
I will defintely follow the advice about running the battery down regularly, saying that is there any way of running the battery down completely? - my power settings will not let me set the 'critical battery leve'l to less than 3% and cannot see any way of disabling the critical battery action - will it make any difference if it doesn't get a complete discharge to 0%?
RE the Sony Battery Settings, I have newly attached the first screen on the vaio control centre -( immediately preceding my earlier attachment screen) that shows the option to use this 'battery care function'. If i follow your much appreciated tips  (and BELIEVE me I will) will it really make any difference to me when I will be running it on AC and Battery Power in equal measures, Sony deifnitely like to put these 'extra' things on that just seem to complicate things!!
This time I'm going to blame the chocolate eggs for frazzling my brain!!
Have a lovely bank holiday - as ever , thanks for your help, it REALLY, REALLY is appreciated. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

matt_2k34
Grafter

if you discharge to 0%, that means the battery is flat. Which is the same as just pulling the plug out of the wall of a desktop pc ( = not good!) so you cant really discharge to flat. i dont think it makes a huge difference.
What i do is:
Powerplan is set to "high performance" (i do quite alot of intensive apps, which take an age to load if i dont use this)
i almost always have the powersupply plugged in, but once a fortnight i drain it to at least 10% / 10 minutes remaining (whichever is last) -- go as low as you like here, but if it gets to the point where your laptop is putting itself to sleep or hibernate, you waited probably too long Smiley
that way the battery gets powercycled (drained and charged) properly, and you shouldnt have to tinker so much with settings.
Its not a major thing if you dont do it - but its to make sure you get the most out of the battery, and to ensure it lasts along time! Smiley
and Hope you're enjoying the bank holiday weekend too, think too much chocolates keeping me awake, and im up for work in 5 hours  Undecided Roll_eyes ho hum!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The reasoning behind the limit of 3% charged, is so that the machne has enough power to save your current windows (or other OS) before "going to sleep".... you only need to plug back in, and the battery will start to charge again immediately...... when you "wake up" the machine, you will probably get a screen saying windows is now resuming...... and then it will return to whatever you were doing prior to "going to sleep"