cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

key loggers

samjohn

key loggers

I received an apparent update from Logitech last week with instructions to enter a series of numbers and digits as a way of setting up my keyboard to counteract illegal key loggers.  The update looked genuine, in the same format as other Logitach updates, so I complied.  Since then I wondered could this have been a malicious 'update' disguised in Logiech livery.  I contacted Logitech but received mixed messages, albeit one message did say that Logitech had not sent any update.
Has anyone experienced this approach?
Any ideas how I could now protect my system in case the update was indeed malicious?
sam j
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: key loggers

Run all the anti-malware software you have, ASAP.
In the meantime don't use your PC to enter any sensitive passwords etc.
You might like to disconnect your internet connection while you do this.
This is the problem with remote updates that don't contain some kind of unbreakable authentication.
In future, I would observe the dictum "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it".  Grin
I thought Logitech only did things like mice/keyboards/webcams etc.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

My Logitech keyboard has an option to encrypt the wireless transmissions between the keyboard and receiver.
Its optional to turn it on though, and IMO overkill (although I confess to having used the option ;))
I can't think of a reason that they'd *ask* you to do such a thing though, but you can check using the Logitech app in your system tray (near the clock bottom right) if you want.
samjohn

Thanks to James and jeremy for your replies.  I did run my AVG virus scan and then their Spyware scan.  Nothing malicious was found.  I then found a phone number for the Logitech Technical Helpline (02030248159) and thankfully got a knowledgeable person who told me to update the Setpoint software and through the 'help' section initiate 'secure mode' on the keyboard, using a Logitech 'wizard'.  The whole procedure worked well and my keyboard is now secure (sending only encrypted signals to the PC).
The Logitech technician did not think that my original update was malicious but he gave me the above instructions to make doubly sure.
So thanks to this forum and the Logitech chap for sorting me out.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Although you are now secure from anyone listening to your keyboard etc, the secured keyboard signal will be decrypted at your PC so that the software can interpret your keypresses correctly - just as if you had a wired keyboard.
Unfortunately, "software" includes any program - including viruses etc. Sounds like you were lucky this time.
Recommended procedure if you get any more update emails would be ignore all web addresses and attachments. Go to the web address you have for Logitech and download any updates manually. This way you are reasonably certain that you are talking to the authentic Logitech site.
Same procedure should really apply for all updates. Virus scanners will have a trusted way of retrieving their daily updates.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."