Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just how dangerous will XP be after April

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

just how dangerous will XP be after April

With a decent browser and update antivirus I guess there will be risks but just how risky?
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: just how dangerous will XP be after April

I Don`t Know !.....
However..... my thinking is.... the older it gets, the less dangerous it will become !.... WHY ?  because the geezers who are trying to wreck the OS will be challenging themselves on the newer OS`s....
But of course.... I`m no expert .... and I could be wrong.!. Undecided
( I`m thinking of getting a set of WIN 3.1 Floppy`s to be absolutely safe  !...  Cheesy ......Oh .... hang on a minute... haven`t got a floppy drive on my laptop... ! ! !  Embarrassed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

With Linux gaining in popularity maybe it will take over as the malware writers' new main target Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

How long are you expecting up to date web browsers and anti-virus software to remain compatible with XP after April 2014?
I suppose you could find out how safe it is now, just stop installing the Microsoft updates!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is an interesting question and will need watching
Even after my antivirus stops supporting XP the question is when will updates stop for the last one which supports XP
Just checked and Kaspersky will continue support for KIS2015 so at least a couple more years
Checking - I can upgrade the only XP computer for the cost of Win 8 (£75 approx) as it will just about run it. I can upgrade the graphics card as I have an 8800GT in the box from my main PC but that may require a new powers supply as the present one is marginal at 400 watts)
Whether I upgrade the memory from 2GB is another question as that will mean replacing the whole set to give 4GB - about £76
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A lot of people (and many businesses) will still be using XP after April IMO.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think this is mostly scaremongering.  All the new flaws in Windows that crawl out of the woodwork will not be patched by Microsoft so you will be a bit more heavily reliant on your antivirus software to protect you than you are with XP now.  But lots of people have computers that run XP and so the companies that sell antivirus software would be shooting themselves in the foot to withdraw support for XP.  That's all there is to it that I can see.