cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

itunes music right between user profiles

amcclean
Rising Star

itunes music right between user profiles

I have eventually decided to give in and try itunes however I have one question to which I can't find an answer.
If I buy music whlie logged in using my personal profile and then change over to my work profile in vista will I be able to play the music I purchased when I was logged on using my personal account?
Many thanks
A
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable

Re: itunes music right between user profiles

Yes, so long as you store your music in a place accessible by both users, iTunes will find the music and allow both to play it.
I have a folder directly on C:\ (C:\Music) which I keep all mine in, much easier to find that the default locations for the library.
amcclean
Rising Star

I have a laptop and a desktop, should i be able to play music through iTunes on both machines.
Regards,
Podman
Not applicable

Its possible, but you'd need to share the location for the music between both computers, or else manually copy the files across from one to another periodically.
Obviously enough, if you share the files from one to another, the former would always need to be turned on and connected via a LAN to the other one to enable it to access them.
Fine if you want them on a desktop machine in one room, and you want to play them in another and you don't mind having both machines powered up.
Not useful if you want to use a single machine in isolation though (unless thats the machine with the files on it.)
An external hard drive might be the easiest way to copy them across when you need to. (Would also provide a backup seperate to both computers then, as well as enabling you to back up other files to the external hdd)
amcclean
Rising Star

all music is on nas so it sounds like everything is sorted.

Podman
Not applicable

Easy peasy then.
When you install iTunes, go to the preferences and tell it to watch the location of the music files, that way if one machine adds music to it, the other machine will pick it up and add it to its record of the 'library'