Did you mean: 

itunes 8

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

itunes 8

What a sucker I am.
Downloaded itunes 8.
IT crashes randomly, and the "genius" thing seems not to work  and always results in a crash. Why dont I learn and wait for a few updates. Cry Cry
21 REPLIES 21
MacOS10
Grafter

Re: itunes 8

Does this article help at all? From what I've heard, the iTunes 8 update seems to be just affecting Vista systems. If you're using Vista, try removing iTunes 8 and the "Apple Mobile Device Support" component from Vista's "Unistall a Program" control panel, then download the full iTunes package from Apple's website.
I usually wait at least a week before installing any new updates.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yep it's working fine under XP and OS X for me
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Working okay on XP for me, barring a single crash just after I installed it and tried setting up Genius.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I've switched Genius on, though I'm not sure about Apple holding a list of all my tracks.
Haven't created any playlists as yet with it though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

My understanding is that it's anonymous, plus I don't really care if apply knows my taste in music Smiley
Not applicable

Genius is genius!
Liking it a lot.
At first I thought it was just trying to sell me stuff, but then I saw the main window had changed to show a selection of my tracks - bloomin' marvellous idea IMO.
Be3G
Grafter

Unfortunately even the 'genius' is stumped by much of my music library. Huh
Not applicable

You need to ditch the musical stuff in there, and go for the inane stuff that its heard of Thomas!
Does make me wonder though, perhaps tonight I'll have a look at what it suggests for some of the more obscure stuff in my library. I presume its classical that it has the biggest problems with?
craigyoung
Grafter

I am really impressed with Genius, even though I was expecting it be rubbish - ie "you've selected a rock track, let's just pick 20 other random rock tracks or songs by the same artist."
But all the ones I've tried have grouped tracks togehter of a similar nature, either by all being upbeat, or similar genre artists.  I was particularly impressed when I selected one song which is best categorised as 'bitter unrequited love song' (ok, "She ain't the girl for you" by the Kinleys if you're into modern country) and it pulled together similar songs from across all genres.  So it seems to be far cleverer than "you like Bon Jovi, you'll probably like Bryan Adams" .
I miss the juke box album covers though.  Haven't looked at setting to see if I could get that view back though....
Assos
Grafter

Craig, do you mean cover flow? If so it's still there - click the button nearest the search box that looks something like:
||[   ]||
craigyoung
Grafter

That's what I was looking for - thanks Assos!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I installed iTunes 8 on it's day of release (Vista x86).
Must admit I think it's a definite improvement aside from the absolutely ludicrous loading times!! The new visualiser is very sexy and performance seems to be better for me. Before I used to get all sorts of weird graphical glitches and oddities with my Last FM plugin.
Don't see much functional point in the new tiled album layout but it looks pretty enough.
Genius is quality. I use it to generate a 50-berth playlist, which I can then transfer to my iPod for the day's listening. Do iPod touches let you use Genius from the device itself?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

craigyoung
Grafter

You'll have to read the instruction manual and learn it 'parrot' fashion, Cap'n. Grin
Not applicable

I have a G5 iPod, but I haven't figured out how to transfer the Genius playlists onto it - do I just have to save its suggestions as a new standard playlist, and then sync that?