cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

isp's told they need to hunt down malware infected pc's

scootie
Grafter

Re: isp's told they need to hunt down malware infected pc's

if one of your dozen spam emails got to me i would want your linux box sending to the car crusher  Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Anyone who can't deal with a few dozen spams a day doesn't deserve to be on the internet.  Grin
Actually, you can rest assured that all the bots are Windows bots - if that makes you feel any better.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

o i can deal with the emails but the senders need dealing with  Smiley
i tend to print all the spam emails off  and post them for my dog to chew on, its a big help in calming him down when theres a postal strike on  Grin
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Axisofevil
Can I ask what these bots actually do?

These days commercial and organised crime interests have got involved in a big way. Infected client PCs become part of large networks of such PCs controlled by other infected PCs which act as controllers farming out work. The controllers in turn contact ,or are contacted by, other systems under the direct control of the people controlling the botnet. Each client PC can potentially send out hundreds or thousands of emails per hour. The groups controlling the botnets sell their services to others. After all they only need a very small %age of people who get the emails and then subsequently decide to use the services to make a profit.
There are sites on the net that monitor the number of spam emails reported - the figures are staggering. Although individuals like you and me might be happy that we are shielded by numerous layers of spam traps it still costs us indirectly as the spam deluge takes up a large chunk of network capacity as well as the servers and software handling and filtering the spam. We all pay for this as part of our ISP fees.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's only email - it's not as if some idiot thinks it would be a bright idea to use the internet for broadcast video of a footballing nature.
That has far more impact than all the spam I get over the next year!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

What never ceases to amaze me is how much people dislike spam in their inbox. It's a few ticks in a box and a button click to delete it.
Junk mail through the letter box people will happily pick up, walk to the kitchen and dump in the bin. Where is the logic?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Junk mail through the letter box people will happily pick up, walk to the kitchen and dump in the bin. Where is the logic?

well it's a bit tongue-in-cheek but you could say that junk snail mail helps keep the cost of a stamp down, which is the opposite of junk email Smiley