Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this possible

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

is this possible

I Have a standard Thompsons modem supplied by Plusnet and my desk top computer is wired into this as I am not really a fan of wireless networking, however I have several relatives who visit and own laptops and would find it useful to use my broadband connection to access the internet. Is there any way this can be done or can the modem only be used for one or the other but not for both at the same time ?
If this cannot be done what is the simplest and cheapest way to set up wireless broadband but still retain my wired connection ?
Thanks.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: is this possible

Both at the same time with no problems
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Easy to do.... get them to switch on laptop, and let them "find" your wireless connection..... tell them the "password" (key) and they should connect no problem. !...
My wife and I have laptop each, and both wireless connect, plus we have had three other "visitors" on the connection at the same time...  (all wireless, but as Jim says... no problem wired and wireless together)
mal0z
Grafter

Just one thing to add - the Thomson has a facility to turn on / off the wireless with the button on the front - hold it for about 3 second to toggle on or off.
That way your wireless is not radiating when not in use.
You might need to upgrade the firmware to do this
see the guide here:
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...