cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this a con.

firefly2
Grafter

is this a con.

i have received two e-mails today that look suspicious.
[1] the first told me that a message had been quarantined and outlined three things as to why..... i may unquarantine it . said that it was from united parel service  ++bradstinger.com included dear plus net customer and signed customer support.
[2] was a notice of undeld mail resembled slightly bts of my adds purporting sent by me and undeld and had paperclip.
have not opened them just went into properties and source.
is it anything to do with you please???
18 REPLIES 18
samuria
Grafter

Re: is this a con.

If you dont know the senders and are not expecting anything just delete them to be safe if it was genuine and important they will get in touch again. If its been quarantined its very dodgy did Plus net do that or your local AV?
Do you have plusnets AV turned on as this should be picking it up, if you havent turn it on in the members centre.
The advice is good for any email if it has an attachment and you dont know the sender dont open it delete it. If its from someone you know dont open any  attachment save it to disk and scan it with AV first(really most AV should pick it up before then)
artificer
Grafter

i've had one of those.  shan't bother to retrieve it.  it's a phoney.
firefly2
Grafter

thankyou both. i don't like the look of them and am wary about putting a bug on my pc. i can't quite make out whether it was support from plus net or any other... will get rid of them. they are already in deleted folder... thankyou again  Smiley think that they were scanned  by avg...
artificer
Grafter

the one i got came from plus.net's quarantine service after being scanned by the online anti-virus tool.  the reported body of text of the suspect email purported to come from ups and had a tracking number.  as i was not expecting delivery of goods, i was immediately sure that it was a bad un.
Assos
Grafter

yeh, I've had a similar email that PN quaruntined recently, you can be fairly sure it's rubbish
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my last quarantined one from UPS contained a trojan plus worm virus Smiley
you dont have to do any thing with quarantined items unless you think it is a false positive, they will just disappear
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Got the UPS one this morning with tracking # 8432395911. Was the OP's similar?
UPS tracker had no trace of that #
Say no more.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
firefly2
Grafter

glad that it not just me.  thanks lucerne. the 84 of the number looks familiar but i have deleted them now. i am expecting a parcel but i couldn't see why ups would have my e-mail adds.
thanks to all. Smiley
artificer
Grafter

got  another three today and one that slipped through from a 'mr bedman', also with a tracking number.  must be the phishers throwing out bait.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this is the Quarantine notice I got
Dear Free-Online Customer,
You are receiving this mail because you have an active virus-scanning
service, and either a banned file extension or an email containing
a virus has been sent to your address.
The item(s) in question picked up by the service was:
*      AUTH-W32/Trojan2.AUFA
and was sent to you from:
*      "United Parcel Service" <fqiuncxxguj@bookspeed.com>
The subject line of the mail received was:
*      UPS Tracking Number 4248818391
In order to protect you, this email has been stored on our servers
and quarantined.  If you wish to retrieve this, please send an
email to unquarantine@quarantine.free-online.co.uk containing the following information;
Not applicable

Strange - this one has arrived in the spam folder of my friend's account (Force9) but only marked as spam, not quarantined as Pierre's was. Wonder why?
(Plusnet AV is turned on).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have had them come in as spam, just been trying to find a copy, I assume that it was that this one had acquired a trojan from one of the Bots
Note the invoice was a Zipped file
Santiago
Grafter

I was just wondering about the one I got.
The UPS email came into my btinternet account without any tagging at all. My ESET AV whipped it into the infected files folder.
My question is does all mail coming through the Plusnet server benefit from their spam and AV system or is it just mail to plusnet accounts?
In the case of this email, should it be tagged by btinternet?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know if the Zipped invoice had a virus, didnt want to try it, but I think I could have scanned it with AVG without opening it, I have left all mine on the server, that doesnt pass thru AVG