cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this a PDA or Sat Nav?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

is this a PDA or Sat Nav?

Asus have announced a new model in their massively successful Eee PC micro laptop range.
A new model has been announced that is equipped with a 9in display, upgraded to touch screen functionality, and the has the addition of a GPS receiver.
The Eee PC has been a whirlwind success. It's ultra compact form factor, solid state memory and custom Linux install has made for an ultra nippy, portable web/eMail device. The Sub £250 purchase prices may have helped as well and the original models are still in short supply with retailers often selling out as soon as stock is delivered!
Linux has, like Mac, traditionally had a lack of GPS software so it will be interesting to see if this device sparks some development on new platforms. Although the Eee PC is a laptop, it is small enough to consider using in-car.
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: is this a PDA or Sat Nav?

Surely that quote answers your question already:
Although the Eee PC is a laptop
chillypenguin
Grafter

I am running GPSdrive on my eee. But that is just mapping software not Sat-Nav, in that it does not give directions.
It would be great if there was some open source Sat-Nav software, for Linux.
The TomTom devices in fact run embedded linux, but they have not released the software for general linux use.
Chilly
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thats the software, but the eec bit I is think the hardware, will try and look it up
The existing model has a 7" screen, this is 9" and it is a GPS reciever.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Yes, the eeePC is a fully fledged but mini laptop with a diminutive price tag (about £220 for the 4G model). It uses a solid state flash drive in place of the traditional hard drive.
It's in the same vein as the Intel Classmate and One laptop per child projects.
Links;
http://eeepc.asus.com/global/
http://www.eeeuser.com/
Its fully "IBM compatible" and capable of running Windows XP. (Full installation instructions are included in the box.) At launch at was only available with a custom version of Xandos Linux. But a preinstalled Windows XP version is coming. I am running the default Linux with the advanced desktop enabled.
My concern is that with a larger screen and additions such as GPS, Touch screen and the added cost of the Windows license, it would cost as much as more traditional laptop.
Here is a picture of me typing out this post on my eee;
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that true, just got this  laptop I am typing on from Morgan, brand new, XP, 4 usb 40m hard drive, OK a not serious machine, got Autoroute, usb plug in from Etrex  all for less than £250 vat and post included
Not applicable

Quote from: chillypenguin
Here is a picture of me typing out this post on my eee;

*SHOCK* Chilly without his 'Tux on....
What is the world coming to? Standards slipping all over the place...
chillypenguin
Grafter

Sorry James, picture with the Tux for you;