cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there an easy way to find if an IP address/range has recently been bought?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

is there an easy way to find if an IP address/range has recently been bought?

A game server I use is having latency issues, normally its around 60ms mark so ok for what it's for, but lately seeing spikes into 3 figures.  So did the usual and traced it and it came back as from South Africa, so wondering if maybe its just that the IP address is still showing as SA and not UK, or if its really hosted in SA.

196.215.230.109 hosted by nitrous-networks.com

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
1 REPLY 1
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: is there an easy way to find if an IP address/range has recently been bought?

normally a whois search on the ip address would likely tell you the details

but it seems that the address in question is listed as being in Africa, if nitrous networks work the same as some other games companies it could be that they use cloud hosting through companies like AWS and the routes are in the process of changing or have recently changed...

its also possible they just recently migrated the game server to a host in SA, one of the games I used to play moved servers from Bristol to Holland to Africa to asia to the USA always moving around and the only thing that changed for me was latency during game play because the client was still connecting to the same portal server in the UK and just being given the destination server after login .... you could try contacting nitrous networks to see if they just moved the server location on you, if they did it might be time to change to a different game /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you