Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is linux the answer

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: is linux the answer

Try Avira - you need a very light-weight anti-virus.
Of course, you don't need any anti-virus software with Linux...
You also don't need to provide a home for viruses (called the Windows registry).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Linux isn't seriously bothered by fragmentation.
No de-fragmentation software is provided as it is unnecessary.

I suspect that this is true if running a linux disk filing system but is probably not true if the harddisk is formatted with NTFS - window's filing system. I run a similar system to father's but have at least 20GB formatted with a linux file system and only 20GB still committed to NTFS.
Ideally you would reformat the whole disk for linux and then it would probably run well but I know that is hard when the disk is already full of important material.
Linux is good but I think you have some work to do on that hard disk whatever OS you use.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Linux can reliably read NTFS data.
AFAIK It can "almost reliably" write NTFS data.
But NTFS suffers from the fragmentation problem.
You could consider moving important data to a better file system.
Obviously take backups first!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: purleigh
Quote from: Hairy
Ubuntu as default is more like a phone os.

Roll_eyes - and I have pointed out MANY times before, it literally only takes THREE mouse clicks to replace Unity with the GNOME desktop.

Here you go, Ubuntu style theme/launcher on my Android phone.....
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've got an old PC with a similar spec to yours. I found the lack of support for flash on older AMD processors like mine a drawback, also I had trouble booting from usb and DVD so was stuck with Ubuntu as I couldn't find a decent distro that would run on CD. There was one - Mageia or something like that ? that looked nice but need me to invest too much time to get it usable. I've tried Linux  3-4 times in the last 18 months and really want to like but always end up reinstalling XP. A clean XP install still runs fine for me but of course there won't be any new security patches after April.
If its anything other than a play thing and it sounds like it gets real use, my conclusion was that it had had its day and time to save up for something newer.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Linux is never the answer. The question however is "What operating system has a steep learning curve and should be avoided at all costs?"  Tongue
/coat  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To which the answer is - from personal experience Mac OS and from no personal experience but reading about it Windows 8
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

lol
Has to be said I don't even like the look of Windows 8 myself. It just looks all wrong and full of stupid squares that seem totally pointless. Think I'll stick with XP and 7 for the foreseeable future!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
picbits
Rising Star

Windows 8 is tolerable - not enjoyable to use.
When you turn off as much of the idiotic enhancements as possible it is reasonably usable.
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Linux is never the answer. The question however is "What operating system has a steep learning curve and should be avoided at all costs?"  Tongue
/coat  Cheesy

Depends on your envrioment, I find it works quite well for most of my servers but trying to use it as a desktop OS usually just ends in frustration.
I actually like windows 8 once I've installed classic start  Undecided
picbits
Rising Star

My primary operating system in the workshop is a Linux machine (Ubuntu 12.04) running on a triple core machine with 12Gb RAM and 6Tb of storage. This runs Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows 2000 on a triple screen setup under Virtualbox. I do a lot of programming and design so having different OS's at my fingertips for testing stuff out and running applications that won't work on newer systems (my printer will only work up till Win2K) it's a godsend.
I also have a variety of other Linux based machines around the house as well as some "normal" laptops running Win7 and Win8 at the moment.
I might have to upgrade the system this year if I get paid any of the money I'm owed !

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: the
I've got an old PC with a similar spec to yours. I found the lack of support for flash on older AMD processors like mine a drawback, also I had trouble booting from usb and DVD so was stuck with Ubuntu as I couldn't find a decent distro that would run on CD. There was one - Mageia or something like that ? that looked nice but need me to invest too much time to get it usable. I've tried Linux  3-4 times in the last 18 months and really want to like but always end up reinstalling XP. A clean XP install still runs fine for me but of course there won't be any new security patches after April.
If its anything other than a play thing and it sounds like it gets real use, my conclusion was that it had had its day and time to save up for something newer.

You will undoubtedly come across issues using a athlonxp 2400 cpu with flash player. I have two systems with similar cpu's and the one mentioned is also in the list of not working ones with the current adobe flash. There are a couple of work arounds if the OP gets to that stage.
I find Linux a simple operating system to use as long as you don't want to mess about with it too much. In fact it probably is the simplest, no harder to learn than say if you get a new phone. You spend a few weeks getting to know where the various settings are then it's as if you've always had it.
leader
Grafter

Debian 7 works well with older amd xp chips
Chrome for linux might be an option for flash as a work around ?
Otherwise older flash versions can be make to work as AverageWhiteBloke notes Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Unfortunately Chrome or Chromium no longer work either. I think the last working version was 19. The pepper flash chrome uses instead of adobe is also coded in SSE2 which the old athlon cpus don't understand. The only option I have found is to get the last working versions of flash and put them into the latest browser. I keep them saved.
It's no big deal tbh, you just get a warning that it's out of date so you have to allow it. No different to some flash blocker add ons you can download for browsers actually. 
momist
Dabbler

So, @penfold, did he make a choice?  How did it go? 
Love to hear some feedback on this. 
I have been using Linux for some many years now, and finally got rid of all Microsoft stuff about 5 years ago.  My choice in your case would have been Peppermint.  It's very light, clean and runs faster than most, but can be loaded with whatever apps you wish.  Ideal for an ex XP person who only does some limited things, but flexible and capable enough to grow with increasing Linux expertise.
I'm currently on Linux Mint 16 MATE, but I'm a bit of a butterfly.