cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is anyone selling windows xp

amir852
Grafter

is anyone selling windows xp

hi im looking for cheap windows xp home or pro can anyone let me no if they are selling one i really need it because i need to reinstall windows after few days or can someone let me borrow there cd for a day or less or copy there windows xp cd and i'll pay you £20
thanks let me no
25 REPLIES 25
Not applicable

Re: is anyone selling windows xp

Amir - as you probably know, you should always go for a genuine XP disk, not a copy. The Windows Genuine Advantage tool will soon kick in and Microsoft will make your system unusable.
Would suggest that you take a look on Amazon.
If you are really short of money and can't afford XP, a good alternative would be the Linux distro Ubuntu 8 which is totally free.
It is about a 700MB download so you may want to do it in broadband free time i.e. overnight. I have found it to be very easy to install and although quite different to XP, it has most things that you need for everyday use.
Post in the Linux section if you are interested and want more advice.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you bought your PC with windows on it there may well be a recovery partition if you didn't get a CD.
Is it a branded PC, if so which one as that might help identify if that is the case or not.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
amir852
Grafter

i did recive the cd and xp recovery cd but i lost it and 6 month ago i had a problem so i got an engineer to install xp for me so he did but he did not install the recovery console. i found a xp cd on amazon can i give you the website it cost £26.98 can you tell me why is it very cheap and will this work if i get it. the web site is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Service-OEM/dp/B000JTDV6M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...;   got to used and new and you will see one for £26.98 but why is the other xp cd in amazon is like £160 please reply thanks
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Amir
As far as I am aware, if you have a valid (and legal!!) licence key, then you can use either an orig or a copy of an XP CD.  I have only 1 orig XP Home CD, which is SP1.  I usually use my own made slipstreamed copy with SP3 on it.  You actually pay microsoft for the licence, not the CD, and I think you can use any CD to install Windows, as long as its the correct type for your licence, OEN, VLK or retail.  You cannot therefore use a retial XP CD to install with am OEM licence key etc etc.  I may be wrong here, but this is how I saw it.  Genuine advantage has no way of knowing what CD you used, but looks at the licence key. 
amir852
Grafter

ok thanks for the help im gonna install linux then get the xp
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If you obtain a copy of a Windows Xp CD you will also require a valid licence.
If Windows came pre-installed by the manufacturer then it usually comes with a OEM licence that is only valid for the original machine. The supplier should have provided a recovery disc. I don't think that it will be possible to use a Microsoft Windows CD, or a copy of one, with an OEM licence number given for use with a recovery disc. At least it didn't work on the one occasion I tried it (which wasn't with Xp).
Denzil
Grafter

Most people trying Linux will install it on a dual boot basis, so when you boot up you are given the choice whether to boot to Windows or Linux. If you have XP installed, first do a defrag to tidy up the hard drive, because Linux will want to create a new partition. The Linux installer will sort out the dual booting and partitioning for you.
It will not work properly the other way round. Windows is reluctant to acknowledge the existence of anything else, so if you install XP after installing Linux it will merrily overwrite the Master Boot Record on the hard drive and render your Linux inaccessible. This can be fixed, but it is easier to install XP first.
Having said that, unless you want use any Windows-specific software you might find Linux has everything you need anyway.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
If you obtain a copy of a Windows Xp CD you will also require a valid licence.
If Windows came pre-installed by the manufacturer then it usually comes with a OEM licence that is only valid for the original machine. The supplier should have provided a recovery disc. I don't think that it will be possible to use a Microsoft Windows CD, or a copy of one, with an OEM licence number given for use with a recovery disc. At least it didn't work on the one occasion I tried it (which wasn't with Xp).

I think (but do not know) in versions up to and including XP OEM editions that the key on the COA is paired with the disk (hence why you cannot proceed though the install without inputting the key or having it in your answer file)
In Vista it's up to the servers in Redmond whether you get a green light or not as disks contain all versions of Vista but the key determines what version you are licenced to use and is verifed with them.)
So for example, I bought a Vista upgrade DVD with the intention of dual booting with XP (I have a legitimate OEM CD supplied with my system m'lud) so I set up a separate partition and booted from the Vista DVD and skipped the key entry during the install.
it got all the way through and booted into Vista and demanded the key, I entered this and selected the version (Ultimate which was the pack I'd bought()
Could tell it was checking with MS due to net activity and came back and told me the key wasn't valid for the install I'd performed.
Be also aware (aside from the fact its illegal of course) but coporate volume licence editions of Vista have to check in with a local server running the Volume Licence Key (VLK) service once every 180 days so if Genuine Advantage doesn't shut you down that will.
As fir Linux, it is quite easy to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu and Mandriva.
I currently have an XP Pro/Ubuntu 8.10 dual boot config as am tinkering with Linux.
Not applicable

I do try to understand the Microsoft licensing system but somehow can't. I have just reformatted the computers of two of my friends (running XP). The machines are about 2 years old, ready for a reformat and were built by local computer shop chap.
I had the full genuine discs to work with and the key on the sticker displayed on the tower. Both were activated with no problem - I inserted the full name and address of the owners. As you can see, it was all perfectly and legally performed - presumably there will be no problems? 
I did wonder if I should have telephoned Microsoft to tell them why they needed reformatting -  one had multiple errors due to careless children and the other had a few problems but was just slowing up as it had lots of programmes installed/uninstalled.
techguy
Grafter

No poppy, don't worry you don't need to phone MS (which is always a fun experience)
Had there been an issue with the activations it would have pointed you to do just that.
Not applicable

Thank you for that - I am much reassured.
Good job I have just gone onto Value as I have given the Internet connection some hammer this month with 3 lots of full XP updates - none of them my own.  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you will have to watch it poppy, they wil be trying to put you on a business line next Grin Grin
Not applicable

Am now retiring from computer repairs - it's too hard on the nerves and a job for younger folk so I don't think that PN have anything to worry about.
Doubtless I shall be back onto my lowly 1 to 2 GB next month.  Roll_eyes
Mav
Fixes: 514

Over the last two years I have had to re-install XP several times after failed HDDs and two failed mother boards.
It is a legally obtained OEM version bought with hardware. I think three times (out of around 10-12 installs) I have been asked to ring M$ regarding the acvtivation. Each time I have explained my reasons outlined above and the activation was granted.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still