Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipods

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

ipods

I am faced with the danger of a relative buying an ipod for my offspring.
I'm fairly sure that there's a good choice of Linux applications to transfer mp3 files etc.
However - do the latest ipod's accept mp3's which don't contain any DRM information (assume that they were created by me, from my CD's)?
There's no way I'm paying anyone for the privilege of downloading anyone if I've already got a perfectly decent digital copy.
Could someone who's got one of these nasty gadgets (whose irritation level is on a par with the mobile phone) tell me whether DRM is a problem?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30 REPLIES 30
pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: ipods

i don't think it is - i don't have one but i assume itunes has DRM even though you pay to download it
Here's an interesting article on it - third section down covers DRM
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/728B5C4B-0A35-40BE-A2E7-E5464C68B80A.html
It says the ipod does not handle or enforce DRM itself - this is all done by itunes so i guess if you never went there etc..
here's an article about the dangers of DRM
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/CEE58947-0EE3-44B1-AAEB-28CDCB307ADE.html

Pete
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You will be fine on the DRM point I tunes will play you MP3s fine.
I have struggled to find any TP applications that play nicely with Ipods though. I'm no lover of I tunes but the alternatives seem to have a habit of screwing up your I pod. If some reviews are to be believed they screw it up irreparably.
Good luck
pcoventry76
Grafter

There are programs you can purchase that will remove the DRM - but they too can cause a messup with your device
pcoventry76
Grafter

fair enough although i always thought copying a CD was as naughty as downloading it.
But i guess i was wrong
zubel
Community Veteran

I can verify that iPods do NOT use or enforce DRM.
I have a music collection of some 60,000 tracks (harking from my DJ days!) most of which I have studiously MP3'd from CD.
They all play perfectly fine on my iPod.
In addition, you don't *have* to use iTunes - you can put an iPod into 'Mass Storage Mode' and simply use it like a USB hard drive and copy the files onto it.  The iPod will automatically detect new songs and add them to the library itself.
B.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Barry
I can verify that iPods do NOT use or enforce DRM.
I have a music collection of some 60,000 tracks (harking from my DJ days!) most of which I have studiously MP3'd from CD.
They all play perfectly fine on my iPod.
In addition, you don't *have* to use iTunes - you can put an iPod into 'Mass Storage Mode' and simply use it like a USB hard drive and copy the files onto it.  The iPod will automatically detect new songs and add them to the library itself.

Thanks Barry. That's just what I wanted to hear.
That was my concern - obviously none of my mp3's have any DRM. I don't want a device that:-

• assumes you are a pirate

• forces you to pay twice for the same thing

• forces DRM on you

It was just that with the introduction of their online site it would be logical (from the point of maximising profit) to only make ipods that enforce DRM.
What I don't/can't understand is why someone should pay for some ephemeral track when they can get the CD at a similar or cheaper price. It's not hard to convert a CD into a bunch of mp3's.

pcoventry76
Grafter

this is what i like about Napster to go - okay it's £15,99 a month and you can only rent the music, but you can refill your mp3 player as often as you like - and the system downloads a 7 days licence everytime you connect it
I like it - i have a creative zen microphoto and it works for me.
VileReynard
Hero

Whilst I can understand that renting most of your films makes sense, I cannot understand how renting music for just a few days can make any possible economic sense [for the listener].
Back when I was a kid you could go into a record shop and listen to a single on headphones. If you liked it/had any money you then bought the vinyl disc.
With luck, you could do the same with LP's.

pcoventry76
Grafter

7 days at a time - simply put if you don't plug it into napster after 7 dys the drm is deactivated
there is no limit i plug mine in every other day to get new music and have never had it stop on me.
VileReynard
Hero

I understand!
DRM is only there to confuse, irritate and bamboozle the long suffering customer.

Assos
Grafter

Back to the original question, iPods will accept MP3s with no DRM fine, although obviously you can't use iTunes to transfer files the music if you are on linux. I don't know how many alternatives there are available, but in the past I've used yamipod which worked ok for me (although I do prefer the iTunes software, where possible). The only thing is, it would appear not to work with the iPod touch at present.
VileReynard
Hero

Obviously I wouldn't touch itunes or any DRM site with a proverbial bargepole.

grimme
Grafter

I thought i-tunes had stopped using DRM when purchasing MP3's from their site?Huh
Not that I use it, I tend to convert my own CD's or get tracks from places like music.download.com where unsigned artists can put their own music for others to play and rate.
zubel
Community Veteran

Interestingly, I usually buy all of my music on CD.  I can't recall *ever* buying any music from iTunes.
I've had a few instances where a CD wouldn't rip correctly due to DRM and "Copy Protection" - the most notable one being "Coldplay X+Y"
My trip back to HMV to discuss the matter basically had them refuse to replace or credit me.
Once I started pointing out that to display the compact disc logo a disc has to pass certain compatibility tests, and that the DRM inflicted upon me via this particular album was in contravention of the logo usage rights, they very soon backed down and offered me a full refund.
To this day, Coldplay X+Y is the only CD that I can recall having downloaded from the internet and not purchased legitimately - and the reason was *because* of the DRM.
B.