Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone and plusnet mail

Word_Warrior
Grafter

iphone and plusnet mail

Yes, I know, it's an extravagance but hey, you can't take it with you Smiley
I have an iPhone and have successfully sync'd it with my mac computer, and everything works fine via my wifi connection. Also everything works except mail via GPRS and EDGE. Now I know that my account SMTP is set for plusnet (relay.plus.net). Out of range of a plusnet connection I can receive mail but I'm unable to send mail via GPRS and EDGE (obviously).
now I've set up a new account with all the same info except the smtp bit which I believe is smtp.o2.co.uk but no joy with that. Is there a surefire way to send email using 'Mail' (rather than webmail) without the tears?
INFO:
I am only using one email address on my iPhone so it should be pretty straight forward but I think I'm missing a trick somewhere.
Any clues anyone?
9 REPLIES 9
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: iphone and plusnet mail

Use SMTP auth. As long as you have a subscription account with us then you should be able to use your username and password to send email regardless as to who you're connected with.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Use SMTP auth. ......

Sorry, being a bit dim this morning Bob. Do you mean replace relay.plus.net with SMTP auth ? on the only account on the iphone?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No, set-up to use authentication on relay.plus.net. I don't know the iphone but there should be a way to select authentication on the SMTP connection then enter your portal login and password as the authentication details.
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: ruslyn
This should help:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,60436.msg491483.html#msg491483

Good link, will try it when I have a minute.
Particularly good tip if you screw up settings on the iphone (Like I did last night) just plug in to sync computer and it sorts it all out for you again!  Cool
[edit]
Just a thought. would this be the same if using my laptop on a bt openzone hotspot? coz I've been changing 'relay.plus.net' to 'smtp.btopenzone.com' every time. Roll_eyes
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yes.
Authenticated SMTP can be used on non-plusnet networks. In fact you can also use it on PNs network so once set, you don't need to change it moving to/from PN.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

blooooomin' marvelous, all these years  Roll_eyes
You learn something new all the time  Wink
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

FYI: Authenticated SMTP was only implemented just before Christmas so it was not possible to use it before then. It has also not been widely publicised.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Okay, many thanks for the help folks it all works correctly now. and as the link above suggests do it on the sync computer then sync the phone to it rather than the other way round.  Grin
Cheers all, now off to watch the rugby!! C'mon England.