Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipad advice

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

ipad advice

My knowledge of ipads is zero. My daughter has an ipad first generation which she is giving to my wife as she has decided to upgrade to an ipad 3 or is it 4 anyway the questions are these,
1. Do you need firewalls and anti virus stuff if you are going to use the internet  (The wi-fi would be a home connection)
2. Is it safe to use to do banking on ?
3. There are tons of aps, is there any problem in using these ie Malware ?
4. Can you just reboot an Ipad like a computer if software problems occur.
Any links to useful sites that anyone uses would be helpful based on personal experience.
Please remember when responding our knowledge of ipads is zero !
Thanks  Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
5 REPLIES 5
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: ipad advice

Hey gleneagles,
1. Not really required, the operating system is quite secure, unlike Windows.
2. It's as safe as any other internet browsing - Online banking is more down to the website, than the device you use.
3. Not really, because most of them are paid for apps, which generally come from respected/decent developer teams, also, see 1.
4. Reboot as in switch off/on again, or reboot as in return to factory settings, either way, the answer is yes Smiley
Cheers,
Matt
NedLudd
Grafter

I'll just add a couple more to Matt's list.
3. As all apps come from the Apps Store then rest assured that they have been fully tested by Apple.
4. A reboot is performed by holding the 'home' and power buttons down together until the Apple logo appears then release. No data is lost!
My wife and I have both iPhones and iPads.
Geoff,
York.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
3. As all apps come from the Apps Store then rest assured that they have been fully tested by Apple.

While that provides some level of protection,  it's not guaranteed to prevent malware making it through.
    e.g. Apple App Store bypassed to spread malware on iOS
picbits
Rising Star

A friend of mine used to be an app programmer for Apple products - he went and bought himself an Android as he was so sick of the hoops they had to jump through to get anything approved by Apple lol.
My wife has an iPad and loves it, I used to be Apple trained for both sales and technical upgrades (back in the 90's) but don't really like their products these days.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thank you all for the information !  Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.