cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international callers 5 times a week why?

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

international callers 5 times a week why?

This is not a complaint of such, its more a question of how and why...
Since switching from BT to plusnet ive noticed i get about 2 calls a day which shows up as "international call" Ive picked up twice and not been able to understand what i think is an indian lady speaking, so ive put the phone down.
Now i just dont answer if it shows international calls.
I was talking to my mum today and she said when she moved from BT 12 months ago to plusnet, within a month she started to get 1 call a day from an "international call".
Seams abit odd that both of us are getting the same type of calls since moving from BT.
I mean do any other Plusnet customers get these kind of calls?
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: international callers 5 times a week why?

I mean do any other Plusnet customers get these kind of calls?

I would be lying if I said that they didn't but there is no correlation between moving to us and the calls starting.
It's probably a random dialler which stores the number once the call has been answered.
I know it's a pain, but because they originate from abroad there is very little we can do about it.
St3
Aspiring Champion

These international callers should be banned from dialing uk numbers.... nothing worse having to home and away in order to get up and find an international call Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I get a lot and I'm not on PN phone, and you can't ban international numbers dialing the uk that'd be daft.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

There was a discussion about a year ago about this, it seemes/ed that when we (several of us then) transfered to PN the spam calls increased dramatically. I had been on TPF for many years and with BT's Privacy @ home (with free caller id) and almost as soon as I transferred I started getting these calls.
Now a year on and having had as many as 5 calls/hour, I have just invested in a call blocker device (http://www.cprcallblocker.com now £40 from £60) only got it today but it seems to work, no spam calls since it has been installed. I got this in preference to the Choose to Refuse as it will be paid for within a year of use and should keep on working for a while. With this you can block international calls/call centres/withheld number etc and if it misses any you just have to press a button and it will add the current number to the block list and drop the call.
I must admit I got really fed up with calls from "M$" saying my pc had a problem, or "free prize draws" or WHY. ALL SPAM!
Why the spam instance is higher on PN vs BT I don't know, as the number is the same.
Quote from: dvorak
I get a lot and I'm not on PN phone, and you can't ban international numbers dialing the uk that'd be daft.

WHY I don't want to talk to anyone over there  Wink
St3
Aspiring Champion

I mean it would be great to have somthing in place to ban unwanted marketing call from outside of the uk. Ive been part of TPS for sometime, bit it dont seam to prevent these type of callers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

First: I do not believe PlusNet are in any way responsible for these calls.
I think it is down to the external companies involved when a new account is set up.

I raised this very point last June, as did others.
Just moved to PlusNet, started getting SPAM calls the very next day.
I seem to remember that when BT (re)allocate a new number, they inform "someone" of this new number.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94988.msg850183.html#msg850183
Post #67
The whole thread may be of interest.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94988.0.html
I wasn't ex-directory initially, despite asking for it.
Calls stopped soon after, and also with a number change, and my caller ID blocked.
I never give out my home phone number anyway, using  a mobile number with no voicemail.
Also, see...
http://www.data-8.co.uk/datasources/bt_osis.aspx
Where it is alleged some companies illegally use this database.
Coincidentally, I also started to get spam emails, once I had completed the external company PN first questionnaire, on an email address I only used for the questionnaire, after being dormant and spam free for years.

The other email address I used to sign up with PN, was, and remains spam free.

My main email provider, has a very effective spam filter, any that get through are dispensed with, by a third party "Bounce" facility installed in my Apple Mail app.
They do not come back.
For anyone using Lion or Mountain Lion

colintivy
Rising Star

I seem to remember being told that, if you have caller ID on your phone, so that you know that the number is withheld, you need to prod # button 7 or more time rapidly and the calling computer gets confused and "looses" your number. It seems to reduce the frequency of such calls but perhaps I have not #ed all the computers that are at it yet!
Roll_eyes
vetterlein
Grafter

I'm still on BT for my phone ... and when I work at home I get two or three of these crank call every day....
My technique is as follows:
Say "Please hold..."
Put the handset down somewhere
Get on with what I was doing
After about half and hour hang up
1: My good deed , saving the next guy from a call
2: If they hang up , they need to explain why they hung up on a customer
3: With luck, I get blacklisted ... and removed from their list