Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intel or AMD

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

intel or AMD

Looking for a new desktop pc as my 32bit system is feeling its age now. The world of processors seems to be more complicated than i recall. the  main use is as a hub for streaming music, email and web browsing so i'm thinking a super powerful processor isnt that important but I don't want to constrain myself for the future too much. I was heading for an intel corei5 but the AMD processors appear to be more expensive. from what i read the intel performance is better on all fronts but I'm not sure if the compromise makes sense. My first desktop had an amd athlon and is pretty much useless now and part of that redundency is processor support so that is a factor
7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: intel or AMD

I've used AMD CPUs for over 12 years for my self-builds as they used to give only slightly less performance for my needs but cheaper than Intel.
Not sure how true that is now but for my next build I may move over to Intel as there is better support for my video editing software.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I was exactly the same until my most recent one where Intel clearly had the edge on performance against cost
That and the fact that AMD were changing sockets far too frequently at that time
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I may be wrong but i believe AMD  at the moment will give a better performance per £ than Intell.
but it depends on what you intend to use it for , overall intell is the better CPU but at a higher cost
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

My last build (non-gaming) used a Pentium G3220, perfectly adequate for browsing / email / music streaming and obtainable for around £40.00, the money I saved on the processor and (H81) motherboard meant I was able to get more memory and an SSD within my budget.
I think there's a lot of hype about processors nowadays with many users paying for i5 performance they don't really need.
I'm sure AMD processors around the same price are also 'surprisingly good' if you don't need top-end gaming performance or similar.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

this may give a better idea http://paulisageek.com/compare/cpu/ if you sort by price and it would appear that Intel wins assuming US price ratios are similar to UK
picbits
Rising Star

I spent the first 10 years of my IT business concentrating almost solely on AMD processors. They offered better performance for the money and didn't have any reliability issues etc.
Intel have more recently caught up in terms of price vs performance and more importantly these days power consumption - every wasted watt consumed on a 24/7 basis will cost you around £1 a year in energy - not all is wasted as you may be wanting to warm your room up etc but the newer Intel processors knock spots off the AMD for overall value when considered in the long term savings.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Many thanks for all this. its pretty marginal but i think the intel is going to win