Did you mean: 

installing earlier versions of Firefox on Mac

IanSn
Rising Star

Re: installing earlier versions of Firefox on Mac

Thanks for this.
Realised later that I should've looked in Sys Prefs  Roll_eyes
Shows only one number - 192.168.1.254.
Looks like my sys prefs are different to your description (I'm still (obstinately) on Snow Leopard), but I'll give this a try later. Fingers crossed!
IanSn
Rising Star

No, didn't work for iPlayer.
And still getting that 212.56.73.* IP coming up - which does seem to show up coincidentally every time there's this problem...
The 208 IPs are def saved in the prefs ok.
Hang on, does this require a restart or re-connect?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It might require a flush of the DNS cache. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

Hmm, no, flushing cache didn't do anything either. (Even shutdown and restarted everything.)
Everything is exactly the same!
iPlayer is still doing text only pages and blue underline links - no stylesheet content.
Seems obvs its still depending on 212.56.73. to get that content.
Where it says 'search domain', it has 'lan' - is that correct?
RPMozley
Pro

Yeah, lan is set by the router. Nothing there to worry about.
Ok, let's try one more DNS just to be sure before ruling it out of the problem. Try Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

Same.
Checked the DNS was actually working by blocking 8.8.8.8 on firewall and, yes, it was trying to use that IP. (Unblocked again afterwards, btw!)
This thing has gone out of my stratosphere now - I did roughly know what was going on so far, now I really have no idea!  Cheesy
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think some third-party DNS servers are getting better at giving you your nearest CDN IPs - Plusnet DNS, OpenDNS and Google DNS all return 212.56.73.X IP addresses for web content hosted on Akamai CDN servers.
I did note the IPs changed to the 212.56.73. ones recently: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127011.msg1104367.html#msg1104367
Does it indicate why the 212.56.73.* addresses are hitting your firewall?
IanSn
Rising Star

Interesting.
Was reading the thread you linked to the other day. No expert in this so didn't understand large chunks of it!
Coincides with the start of my problems... I thought it was Firefox to begin with!
So that IP deals with Akamai stuff as well as Google (had a similar conversation about this IP a while back - forget what the issue was now).
No, firewall is not stopping the 212.56.73 IPs. I was only referring to the live log of traffic that it produces. I can see what's coming in and going out.
Been checking. There's def an issue with that IP. Also affect the Mozilla site.
Can't get on any BBC pages so fat chance of posting a query with them!
IanSn
Rising Star

This gave me a thought...
Turns out firewall was silently stopping stuff - whole list of port numbers for outgoing connections from Firefox, Safari, and Thunderbird (Haven't checked other apps yet).
Security app must've been identifying something dodgy about these and stopping them without asking.
Deleted these rules and set up new one to allow in case it happens again.
Now works fine!  Smiley
Although... this doesn't explain it enough for me. Why did problem start? Why always that IP address?
Maybe my firewall tinkering was just a coincidence...
Have to wait and see what happens.
I'm back on orig DNS, btw.
Anyway, I don't think much of the new iPlayer, but we'll just get used to it I suppose...
Many thanks, yet again, to RPMozley and ejs for patience and assistance  Smiley
Fingers crossed
RPMozley
Pro

Ok, hopefully that will hold in a working state. Just out of interest, what firewall setup were you referring to, the built-in Mac OSX one or some other security package?
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

Yep. You get a seventh sense with these computer things, feels okay. Still puzzled tho.
Use a combo of WaterRoof (interface for the built-in firewall for control over in and out) and the old X6 VirusBarrier (the latter mostly for its live logs and other useful bits. Although it was X6 that was stopping the ports). They work together well, and I'll miss the set-up a lot when finally have to quit this computer and OS.
Thanks for your assistance in negotiating this, appreciate it.
Might've been good if I'd checked the firewall rules before getting on here, tho!  Roll_eyes
Changed my mind about the new iPlayer, been catching up all evening and half the night. I like it. Quicker, too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always delete a newer version of software if it appears to cause problems.
I have three utility apps installed on my iMacs.
AppDelete
AppZapper
AppCleaner
I find AppDelete the best, as it searches out virtually all related files, and gives you the option to remove some or all of them too, and it automatically fires up when I drag an app to Trash.

This usually clears up any problems, allowing an earlier ( or later ) version to be clean installed, though I haven't tried this with Firefox.
Also useful for housekeeping apps that have been tried, and not wanted any more.
IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks! I'll check that out.
Not had any problems 'overwriting' FF, so far at least.
Though it turns out FF wasn't the problem -- at least I think it wasn't....