cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imountain.com solar powered web hosting.

seanbranagh
Grafter

imountain.com solar powered web hosting.

I am playing with the idea of switching to entirely renewable powered web hosting as a selling point.
I currently use a VPS provided by Eukhost and would be looking for the same with a "green" provider.
The most interesting I can find is www.imountain.com offering clustered vps's.
Does anyone have any experience with this company or can recommend another?
10 REPLIES 10
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: imountain.com solar powered web hosting.

After several emails and getting answers to a few questions I have went ahead and ordered the "Emerald VPS" (30 day money back option)
The package is about the same price as the VPS I currently have with Eukhost but with more memory and 3 IP addresses.
The VPS is still being setup but so far the control panel and all other aspects looks very promising.
I am looking forward to hopefully soon being the only "green" web developer in my area (that I am aware off).
mentalist3d
Grafter

Nice to see that you are going green for your web hosting, I also made the move to a server which uses renewable energy sources, mind you I'm still on a shared server for now.
First thing I done was add extra branding on my site for being green and I've found a couple of local charities that are set-up for protecting the environment have requested services, so their is definitely a market Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am not doing it to save the planet. Don't really believe in all that cos stopping climate change is futile when we will eventually kill ourselves by nuclear war or maybe a super volcano or asteroid. Humans are only on this planet for a very very short time, may as well just enjoy our stay.
I am just doing it as a selling point. The company supplies logos that I can use on my sites.
I have been having a few isues getting the VPS set up the way I need it so I will be using the free 30 day trial to decide if I will actually move to them.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Looks like I may not be switching. For some reason that was explained to me the company are unable to offer me a fresh install of only the base CentOS operating system. For any of you who know about Virtualmin this causes all sorts of problems with which I am loosing patience!
mentalist3d
Grafter

Sorry to hear about your probs, I dont know enough to be any help sorry.
I never moved my host with being green my main concern either, it was more of an added bonus and marketing purposes. I don't really think it matters if I turn of my lights and scale back my power usage, etc. Until big businesses change, were all screwed, the top 5% richest in the world use and waste over 90% of the worlds resources, so me switching of the TV wont make a difference, and like you I do believe we will wipe ourselves out first, before the world does, sadly.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Sean
I am not doing it to save the planet. Don't really believe in all that cos stopping climate change is futile when we will eventually kill ourselves by nuclear war or maybe a super volcano or asteroid. Humans are only on this planet for a very very short time, may as well just enjoy our stay.

I sorta think the same thing. The thing is though we do have the technology to deal with things like asteroids today and nuclear war is a very last resort to any nation. Super volcanoes are a massive risk which could be avoided if only more money was pumped into space travel and development which would also aid the asteroid problem. Climate change isn't going to be solved within the next 50 years as countries like china don't give a rats bottom about it in the same way its taken our country so many years to admit it needs looking at. All these carbon trading permit things were a bad idea too as it just legalised pollution.
What gets me is that if NASA could remotely instruct astronauts in the apollo missions to build air filters to filter carbon in the space capsules, why can't we do it on a planetary scale?
It's all down to the bean counters. With people obsessed by money we're all doomed.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Although technology to avoid the astroid problem does exist I am not sure there is a solid reliable international plan in place? As for humans living in space, I do beleive in time this would be possible but its still not saving the planet.
As for nuclear war, it is less than 30 years ago since the threat was very real and already one nation is claimed to be attempting to become a threat. It obviously does not take humans very long to forget the lessons learned. As everything can change within a single generation I firmly believe that nuclear war in enevitable at some point in the not to distant future. It has been enevitable ever since those dumb american scientists made the first bomb. When I say dumb I am not questioning the science but the complete lack of thought about the future consequences of their actions. Then again, if it was not them it would have been the Russians or someone else eventually.
As we are well aware, saving the planet would require 100% international cooperation which is something that only exists in the speaches of Western leaders.
seanbranagh
Grafter

A support ticket unanswered for over 48 hours was the end of my trial with iMountain. Back to the drawing board with the Green Hosting!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

In honesty Sean I really can't see 'green' powered hosting making much of a difference to the customers you would gain. The web hosting market is so over saturated that people simply go for cheap deals these days. Things like how its powered really won't make much difference unfortunately.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mentalist3d
Grafter

Where we noticed it being a selling point is for charity groups in our local area, as many of them have "green" social objectives. As for the general business market, it doesn't make much of a difference, as you say okrzynska, people simply go for cheap deals these days.
Have you watched Zeitgeist AddenDum, thats got a good interview with the Venus Project which is all about utilising existing technologies to free mankind from the slavery of money and poverty to pursue more benficial activities for humanity. Its worth the download if you haven't seen it (and it's free) http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/