cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iTunes v4.0

Hawks
Grafter

iTunes v4.0

Am having frustrating time trying to download and install iTunes version 4 because the download keeps 'timing out' on me. Can anyone suggest a way of getting around this?
10 REPLIES 10
digitaldipstick

Re: iTunes v4.0

Are you sure you mean iTunes v4 - the current version of iTunes is 9.2.
hulls
Grafter

I think Hawkes probably means the Ipod Touch software version 4.  I've just had a notification for it, but haven't installed it yet.
digitaldipstick

I updated my iPhone to iOS 4.0 when it was first released without any problems and I have a pathetically slow broadband connection. I would just suggest that you try it again tomorrow and see if you get the same. If you keep having problems then check your connection speed and also Apple's support site to see if others are having similar problems.
digitaldipstick

Sorry, I should have added that you need to ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed (9.2 for both Mac and Windows).
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This may not be related at all, but I had problems trying to download iTunes a few weeks back.
I've bought an iPod about 3 years ago and recently decided I ought to put some music on it, rather than use it as a portable hard drive Smiley
It was about the same time the iPad came out, which might have been a factor, but I couldn't access the download page at all for a few days.
Wouldn't surprise me if they are having problems due to demand.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There are battery charge life issues with IOS4 on 3G and 3GS iPhones.
There is a procedure for rolling back to V3.
I also had problems accessing various areas of the Apple site in the past couple of days.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hulls
Grafter

I managed to update my Ipod Touch yesterday (it's the same software)  It took about half a dozen attempts (it always does) but I eventually managed to run a restore.  The first couple of times, it just seemed to hang at the backing up stage.
Having said that, I'm not sure of the benefits.  Folders are nice, but the software overhead is significantly higher, and because I've only got the 8GB version  Embarrassed  most of the new gizmos don't work  Undecided
John
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
There are battery charge life issues with IOS4 on 3G and 3GS iPhones.
There is a procedure for rolling back to V3.

Double-click the 'home' key, and up pops a list of all the programs you have running - hold your finger on one of the apps for a short few seconds, then you get a little icon next to each app so you can shut it down.
The danger of allowing multitasking! If you happen to have an app which is allowed to run in the background (rather than being suspended like most are) you need to hope it is not one which accesses any internet or GPS devices, otherwise your battery will shoot down! (note, if the app ever asked if it could use your location, there is a chance that it might be running in the background looking for your location.
I like iOS4 - but am tempted to roll it back - the enhancements are nice, but the default should be to exit the app when going to 'home', or properly/fully suspend it, unless you are explicitly asked if you want it to continue running.
So long as you keep exiting apps the way I described, the battery life is just the same. (i.e. Rubbish!) Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

My Ipod stalled at the back up stage, the solution was to unsync/remove all the apps, install the update (10 mins max) then re-sync including apps. It seems this problem is fairly prevalent and is caused by a corrupted app
Hawks
Grafter

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've tried them all but without any success, I'm afraid.  Maybe I'll just wait for version 5.0 to be issued and then try again..