cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iTunes problems

bluesage

iTunes problems

I have 3 different Macs on a wired network and an iPhone connected wirelessly. Everything works fine, except that I can't connect to iTunes over the web. I can browse the site but not update applications. I have tried authorsing and de-authorising, getting my password sent and accessing my account. In each case it the iTunes site times out. All other web access is fine and I'm getting about 5mbs.

The iPhone works fine on another wireless connection. Apple have checked my password and all is well. If I take the MacMini off site to another connection I can get through to iTunes with no problems. I have checked my router and reset it and substituted another. While I fix this I'm not running a firewall anywhere.
Mobile me works OK
Apple have suggested that it might be an ISP problem. To quote them:
"Greetings, Shaw here. I apologize if you were not satisfies with my resolution but I can assure you that the issue you have reported happens only because of some software or firewall issues. As the App Store is fine at our end and I have checked it again, so it infers there might be some network issue on your system or with your ISP."
Are plusnet blocking iTunes servers or do they have a bottleneck there? Any clues gratefully received.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: iTunes problems

Try disabling the Plusnet firewall
Be3G
Grafter

For what it's worth, I have the PN firewall set to low and I have no problems with iTunes.
bluesage

I should have said, the PN firewall is off. It's only the App Store and downloads I have problems with, I can browse iTunes ok.
Be3G
Grafter

Have you tried updating applications direct from the iPhone over WiFi? And if that doesn't work, how about over cellular data?
bluesage

iPhone works fine on another wireless net and no downloads at all on my own. Using cellular network works but is very slow and won't work while the iPhone sees my wireless network. Speedtest on the iPhone shows 5 mbs. It's almost as if my router or PN reject data from Apple on my network. But everything else works fine.
Be3G
Grafter

So to be 100% clear, this is the situation:

• Updating apps on Mac connected via home WiFi doesn't work;

• Updating apps on Mac connected via other WiFi works;

• Updating apps on iPhone via home WiFi doesn't work;

• Updating apps on iPhone via other WiFi works;

• Updating apps on iPhone via cell data works.

(Small tip by the way: you can force the iPhone to use cellular data even when it sees WiFi networks by simply turning WiFi off in settings.)
Hmm. How about other downloads from iTunes? You could try testing with the free single of the week. Also might be worth trying a podcast, as iTunes doesn't actually host those.
bluesage

You've got it and thanks for the summary. Plus Net have asked for a Wireshark capture file and I'm slowly learning how to do it.
I run a B and B and this weekend's guest found just the same situation on his laptop and iPhone. Nice guy, Works for Oracle but I couldn't get him to sit down and look at Wireshark - surely that's what holidays are for?
I can play the record of the week but an actual download is hanging and I guess the itunes store will time out. If it wasn't for the facts that my password works on other networks and other peoples log ins don't work on my nerwork I'd guess that it was my password that was wrong.
Back to sorting wireshark!
By the way, I can't think of any change that took place to start this happening and it all worked fine up to 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Roger