Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iTunes Alternative?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

iTunes Alternative?

Has anyone found a good alternative to iTunes for managing files on an iPod.

Years ago I had need of iTunes when I owned an iPhone and found the whole process hit and miss.

Maybe iTunes has now become more user friendly and reliable but would like a second string to my bow.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
6 REPLIES 6
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: iTunes Alternative?

Is it an old iPod or one of the new generation ones (basically an iPhone without the 'phone')?

If its a new generation iPod running iOS, you can install apps for music streaming services like you would on an iPhone. I really dislike iTunes personally as the desktop app is clunky and I hate having to spend extortionate prices per song.

I use Spotify - massive collection of music, unlimited streaming if you pay the subscription, option to save the music files locally so you don't use up your data, receive updates from your favourite artists when they add more music, create playlists, share playlists with friends.. I highly recomend it.

Other options would be Deezer and Napster but I don't know what those applications are like on an iOS device.

If its the old school iPod, I am not sure if there are any alternatives to iTunes for managing your music as its pretty locked down.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Strat
Community Veteran

@jaread83 it's an iPod Nano 7th Generation.

Not mine I hasten to add but a gift.

The recipient has an oldish iPhone and will probably want to copy tunes he has on there to the Nano also from his laptop.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

In that case, you could try out CopyTrans

It works really well according to a few forums that have talked about this subject of cutting out iTunes entirely for media management.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I recall some time ago using Yamipod to help my daughter get stuff onto her iPod without iTunes.

Still seems to be around: http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've used Yamipod in the past: http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks guys, very useful information.