WildRose52
Grafter

iPod and music (this rattles my cage)

user deleted
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: iPod and music (this rattles my cage)

Sorry but it NEVER has been legal to copy music in the UK. Unless you owned the music, i.e. wrote & played it yourself, or with the owners permission. It has been a gray area for a long time, people in the 70's used cassette tapes to copy from the radio/TV for their own use. It was illegal but never prosecuted due to the fact that it was done by everyone .
In the US they could make copies of albums/cassettes/cd's (again for personal use) but we never had that law amendment to allow us to do that. With the growth in the 80's of cassette dubbers (allowing high speed copies from one cassette to the other) the Canadian's introduced a blank tape tax (which went to the music companies) but with the ipod and mp3 players becoming almost universal (my dvd player plays mp3's as does my TV ;D) there is still the stigma in the UK that it is illegal, which very few people seem to know see <a href="http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/02/24/consumer_focus_copyright_call/">here</a>.
<gets on soapbox>
Personally the music companies can swivel if they think I will buy several copies of an album (e.g. one for the house, one for the car, one for the mp3 player). This is starting to move to ebooks as well, if I own the hardback shouldn't I also get an ebook to let me read it anywhere? But they want the same money (or MORE) for a digital copy that is DRMed to within an inch of its life. This is also holding back libraries from offering ebooks to users.
</gets off soapbox>
Just my 2p's worth.
WildRose52
Grafter

user deleted

Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: WildRose52
Once you`ve bought it legally - you own it, and you should be able to play it on whatever device you want.

You don't own the recording - you just own the media, and have certain permissions assigned in how you may use the contents of that media.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: James_G
You don't own the recording - you just own the media, and have certain permissions assigned in how you may use the contents of that media.

Same with software you are only renting it. Even though you thought you had bought it. Although again with s/w you aren't supposed to sell it  again. (Bit like books, but then that would put all the secondhand bookshops out of business)
Lurker
Grafter

You are not 'Renting it'
You are paying for the right to use it in accordance with the licensing agreement.
In reality, many software agreements contain a clause allowing you to copy it. (Normally only a single extra copy for data recovery/business continuity purposes, and you are still only allowed to install as many instances as you are licensed for.)
HairyMcbiker
All Star

That's a very fine line between renting and "right to use".  I pay an exorbitant fee to them to use this s/w for as long as they let me sounds like renting to me. (By this I mean until a new version comes out requiring me to pay another exorbitant fee to upgrade it) OR maybe I mean leasing? In either case you don't own the s/w only the right to use it as they specify.
Anyway we are way OT.
Lurker
Grafter

You have a right to use it forever.
My MS Office 97 licenses are just as valid now as they were 10 years ago.
We have chosen to pay for the right to use a different (newer) version, but we don't have to.
You are right though - it is OT.
Perhaps we ought to start a new thread about software licensing...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I thought that Linux, firefox, thunderbird and open office were free
HairyMcbiker
All Star

They are but we were discussing software licensing where you have to accept a licensee before you use the s/w AND pay for the privilege.
I personally have bought s/w and cd's in the past but these days I prefer open source (or freeware) and listening to the radio/internet stream
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

What annoys me most of all about these companies, is that years ago you could pay £14 plus for a  music CD in this country but in Europe and the USA it was much cheaper. The excuse given was the cost of distribution !
Now the music companies and others want our cooperation in the fight against piracy !
No one can argue that piracy isn't theft but equally many of these companies were happy to line their pockets with the additional profits made from British consumers.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
David_W
Rising Star

I was always under the understanding that you could make a copy of any software disc you own, but only for back-up purposes, you can't actually use it (unless the original gets destroyed, or more likely you use the copy and store the original).  It's unlawful to make a copy to use or distribute, but when software discs can set you back several hundred quid, prudence dictates you don't actually use that disc, you stick it in a safe.
Of course, with DRM it's practically impossible to make a copy of a disc for back-up so if the disc breaks you're out of luck.