James
Grafter

Re: iPod Touch

Hiya,
Looks relatively straightforward:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1385
And there's this generic guide:
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/thunderbird.shtml
Let me know if you need any further details and I'll grab them for you.
weatherman
Grafter

I am still having problems setting up a new account  connection, when I put in the information as shown in the settings section of this site it will not save I get the message "cannot connect using SSL, do you want to try setting up the account without SSL" I am sure it's something simple (maybe me) but it's frustating
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I think the answer is you click 'Yes', you don't need SSL to access your plus account and the touch will always try and use SSL first.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
weatherman
Grafter

so I have got it hear in front of me, we have Name,Address, Description, then Incoming Mail server, Host Name,User Name,Password, Then outgoing mail server:- Host Name, User Name, Password, does it matter whether I use Imap or Pop
Denzil
Grafter

POP will download all your messages and remove them from the server, so they will not be accessible from a home PC later unlss you can copy them from the ipod. IMAP is probably best for a mobile device as it downloads copies of the emails and still leaves them accessible on the server.
EloLaugesen

Change to message think I just solved the problem by going to account section and resetting the out going server to use other hosts....  sorry.
Re IPOD touch and any mac machine..
I work from two locations and possibly more when I open my wife's Ipod touch.
my main location uses tiscali and the second location plus
however when sending emails out I always want email to be returned to my main email account.  when trying to send from my plus locantion you  insist on the from location in email to be plus only.
why can I not get an option to send my email from tiscali so auto reply will go back to my main account. 
I have no problems at this time with reading.
Delves
Grafter

Quote from: weatherman
I am still having problems setting up a new account  connection, when I put in the information as shown in the settings section of this site it will not save I get the message "cannot connect using SSL, do you want to try setting up the account without SSL" I am sure it's something simple (maybe me) but it's frustating

Did you get this sorted? If so how, I'm getting the same message and just can't seem to find out how to get it working
Regards
David
Hawks
Grafter

I have an even more basic problem trying to collect my email via my new iPod Touch at home.  It's probably a simple thing but can anyone help?  Having synchronized my mail settings from my PC to my iPod, it is asking me to enter a password in order to connect to the "mail.plus.net" server via my wireless network connection.  When I enter the password that I use for opening my email account (or when I try the same thing when connecting to Wi-Fi networks, I get a mesage saying "Unable to Join the Network "[name]" .  What am I doing wrong?
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It sounds like you are being asked for your Network password rather than the Mailbox password. Can you access the internet using, say, Safari on your iPod ? If not then check that your Router is not restricting access to your iPod by filtering MAC addresses. If you need to add the MAC address of your iPod to your Router then it can be found by going to Settings .> General > About  and looking down the list to 'Wi-Fi Address'.
Hawks
Grafter

Thanks very much for your help ruslyn.  No I can't access Safari on my iPod either (for the same reason).  As my Network and Mailbox passwords are the same (yes, I know) I don't think that can be the problem, can it?  I've found the MAC address for my iPod (thanks for leading me to it)  but, on  opening the Wireless Network Connection on my PC, I can't see how to add the iPod MAC address.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As my Network and Mailbox passwords are the same

It's the password for the Wireless Network on the router that you need to enter. Either the WEP or WPA password depending on what encryption you have set on the router.
but, on  opening the Wireless Network Connection on my PC, I can't see how to add the iPod MAC address.

Again, if its a MAC filtering problem the settings are on the router not the PC.
If you still have problems let us know the router make and model and we may be able to help you further.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hawks
Grafter

Thanks MisterW.  On my Belkin Management Console page, I have gone into "MAC Address Filtering" and have added the MAC address for my iPod.  I cannot find a WEP password though.  So still no joy connecting to the internet or mail.  In the "security" section on the Belkin Management Console, there is a group of 13 double digit numbers but that can't be the 'password' I'm missing.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

In the "security" section on the Belkin Management Console, there is a group of 13 double digit numbers but that can't be the 'password' I'm missing.

Yep , thats the blighter! , its the WEP password. 13 Hex digits is correct for a 128bit Wep encryption.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hawks
Grafter

Thanks again MisterW.  Presumably, I need to re-synch my iPod first, then input those 13 Hex digits when asked for a password.  Another question, I'm afraid.  Do I need to type in the full stops in between the numbers or only the numbers themselves.  Also, I'm guessing that I will only need to enter this password once, not everytime !