cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer freezing on Samsung smart TV

somebodyyouknow

iPlayer freezing on Samsung smart TV

Hi all,

I recently got Plusnet broadband having switched from BT and was with Sky before that. I have a Samsung ue48h6400. Ever since I have had it the Iplayer app will now freeze. There is no error message, sometimes iplayer will remember near to where it froze, sometimes it will just restart the program. It can last anywhere from 5 mins to 20 mins before it freezes. Once it has frozen the TV says it has disconnected from the router and will not reconnect unless restarted. Youtube seems to work ok on the TV. All other devices have had no problems with it. I have tried the standard fixes: resetting the tv and router, changing the DNS settings, disabling router firewall, splitting 2.4 and 5 ghz, disabling 2.4 and 5ghz separately, changing band. The router has good coverage and I have moved it into the same room as the TV and still had problems.

Some people say you can connect ethernet to the tv but I don't want to run a cable and it worked without problems for the last two routers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've also posted the event log running up to the freeze.

It froze around 3 minutes after this.

6 REPLIES 6
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: iPlayer freezing on Samsung smart TV

It could be the PN router , they are just basic .
I cured my Samsung TV with a pair of home plugs 👍 better than running a cable
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
somebodyyouknow

Thanks for the response, I'll try it if I can't find any other solutions. I would rather not have to buy extra stuff if possible since I pay for the service I expect it to work and as I say I've not had problems with previous routers. 

mattdaley

I have exactly the same problem as the OP. Just switched from BT to Plusnet, iPlayer on a Samsung TV - same model I think - freezing making it basically unwatchable. Very annoying. Any ideas? I have to switch the TV off at the wall socket sometimes to get iplayer to even work again.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I download BBC programs to a media player on my PC, using get_iplayer.

This works on Linux and Windows (haven't tried Windows though).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

somebodyyouknow

Surely that's fine on a computer but I don't see how that would work for the TV?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

If you have your TV and PC setup as a homegroup you can stream programs from PC to TV Thumbs_Up

thats what i do with films on my Harddrive Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .