Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 launch, live now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

iPhone 5 launch, live now...

Live Feed notes: Courtesy The Guardian.

"Today, we're going to introduce iPhone 5." SEO experts everywhere rejoice - I think that's them clapping in the audience. So let's take a look." Lights go out, it's suspended in the middle of the stage, "the most beautiful product we have ever made."
It is indeed taller (5 rows plus dock), two-tone back.
"Made entirely of glass and aluminium, unlike anything we or anyone in our industry has made before. Hardware and software engineering is the most challenging our team has ever taken on."
First: "the thinnest and lightest phone we've ever made, 7.6mm thin, 112g so 20% lighter, smaller volume. "This is the monumental challenge.. have everything the iPhone 4S has even before new features. It's really easy to make a product that's bigger, everyone does that."
"What is the design centre for a phone? It's this - your hand, the horizontally opposed thumb, it should be easy to send messages, type emails, surf the web... " 16:9 ratio, so a fifth row.
"All the software has been updated to take advantage of this display. Your calendar shows more events."
iOS 6
4G/LTE (LTE EE in the UK) gives you a theoretical maximum downlink of 100megabits per second. Single chip, single radio, dynamic antenna - the latter from the iPhone 4S, switching between two virtual antennas for signal reception."

Claiming
-225 hours standby,
-40 hours music playback,
-10 hours LTE use,
-10 hours video,
- 8 hours 3G,
- 8 hours Wi-Fi.
Those aren't much shifted from the 4S, though the LTE figure is surprisingly high.

Phil Schiller. With two iPhone 5s.

Camera...
Photos while recording. back camera does 1080p and photos while videoing, front does 720p.
With Panorama stitching. Up to 360 degrees
"So many things we used to do over the wire we now do wirelessly. We use Bluetooth.. Wi-Fi for our stereo.. iTunes.. it's time for the connector to evolve."
New connector is called "Lightning" - "so we have Thunderbolt and Lightning".
Cue Queen !

"You'll experience a big increase in speed in everything you use the iPhone for... especially for graphics-intensive apps."
That's perhaps going to be the point this will be sold on. Bigger screen and faster.

How much & when ?
Same prices as for the 4S last year - $199 (16GB), $299 (32GB), $399 (64GB).
"You can preorder on September 14, ship just one week later, September 21st in US, UK, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, and then a week later in 20 more countries, by the end of this year in more than 100 countries with 240 countries. Fastest rollout ever."
iOS 6 rollout on 19 September, for the iPad as well.

Vodafone has a statement: "Vodafone welcomes the arrival of the new iPhone and Vodafone UK plans to offer the new device to our customers. Availability of the new device will be announced in due course."
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: iPhone 5 launch, live now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually an Android man myself !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Stuff I gleaned from the announcement so far:

• Lightest smartphone - 112g (Galaxy S2 is 116g)
  • 4" screen with 336ppi/1136x640 display
  • Integrated touch sensors (patent anyone?)
  • 4G/LTE
  • 802.11 a/b/g/n wifi (802.11n is 2.4GHz and dual channel 5GHz)
  • Apple A6 CPU/GPU ~2 times faster than 4S
  • 8 hours of 3G talk time and browsing, and LTE browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hours of video, 40 hours of music, 225 hours of standby time (Really?).
  • 8 megapixel sensor, 3264x2448, backside illuminated, hybrid IR filter, five-element lens, and a fast f/2.4 aperture. 25% smaller.
  • Panorama
  • 1080p HD video
  • New 9-pin 'lightning' connector (adapter available - http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/image/201209/phpoO2WSzIMG_0511.jpg)
  • New operating system (iOS6) with improved mapping/turn-by-turn navigation etc.
  • Same prices at the 4S. $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, and $399 for 64GB, along with 2-year carrier contract.
  • Pre-orders start on September 14, and ships one week later in US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore.

They're now chatting about the iTunes/music service changes which is my queue to leave the office and go home I think! Cool
Please also be mindful of my post here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: PlusComUK
"Made entirely of glass and aluminium, unlike anything we or anyone in our industry has made before. Hardware and software engineering is the most challenging our team has ever taken on."

It is impossible to make semi-conductors solely out of Aluminium and/or glass.
Therefore it won't work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

But you can make galliums animus out of Aluminium + glass

It's nearly Gallium Arsenide !!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Bob
  • New 9-pin 'lightning' connector

• That's not new, Benjamin Franklin had one years ago Wink
    Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
    To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
    dvorak
    Fixes: 1,483

and still no predictive text. or NFC.
    Customer / Moderator
    If it helped click the thumb
    If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

The Octopus NFC cards in Hong Kong are brilliant.
    Pay for everything from shops to transport.
    I'd rather have a NFC card myself.
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Anonymous
    Not applicable

VileReynard
    Hero
    Fixes: 20

Get a grip!
    It's only yet another phone.
    BTW...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

w23
    Pro
    Fixes: 4

Looks like their next logical step would be to force fruit growers to change the name of their orchard produce because they're also obviously taking advantage of Apple's good name.
    Vary few will deny the quality and good design of Apple's products but I wonder how much of their high prices is necessitated by supporting a presumably very expensive legal department.
    Call me 'w23'
    At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
    Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
    kmilburn
    Grafter

Given the abundance of cash they've got in the bank,  their high prices aren't caused by their legal department.
    Apple Q3 Earnings: Apple Now Has Over $117 Billion In Cash Reserves