Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad problem

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

iPad problem

When trying to add an app from the App Store, I receive the following error message:

This app requires specific features not available on this device

At least I think its an error?

My iPad is running the latest version of iOS 11. What features are "missing" and how to cure it please?

I know at least one app (of several that are having this problem) I have been trying for recently won't work on my iPhone 5c, but it should on my very late iPad. But this should be fixed when the iPhone is upgraded in March this year.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES 5
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: iPad problem

Is your processor fast enough? Funny
Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew, what app is it?

petlew
Pro

An ESSO Pay app is one I'm having trouble with.

But, I've had other apps refuse to install for the same reason. Doing a little Google searching, it seems to be something to do with recent iOS updates and a change from "Cloud" to "Files" but there doesn't seem to be a fix.

All the previously installed apps prior to the change work fine, My problem is only with apps I try to install since the update.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

According to the App Store the ESSO GB app is only compatible with iPhone models. No iPad is listed so I guess ESSO have only allowed iPhones to work with it. Developer's choice I would think.
That's RPM to you!!
petlew
Pro

Thank you RPMozley, that would account for the ESSO issue, hopefully this will self cure after my iPhone 5c is upgraded in March.

The other app I'm having the same problem with is WhatsApp. Now, I know that under normal circumstances genuine WhatsApp only runs on iPhones and can't be installed on iPad's. However there is a work around to use a web based version in the Safari browser.

There are a couple of almost identical looking third party WhatsApp clones around, but evidentially some of these have developer and security problems of their own and are not recommended. However, Apple have some of them in the App Store.

Anyway, when I tried loading the web based version, I ended up with the same problem as the ESSO, although this time an icon was placed on the "desktop" but showed the same error message if I tried to open it.

If you're interested in the progress of this one it is covered in issues 516 and 519 of Computer Active in "Problems solved" and "Reader support".