Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad/iPhone mail

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

iPad/iPhone mail

When I opened my iPad this morning for the first time for several months, I found in my Mail Inbox (apple generic app) there were over 200 emails in it, none of which I want to keep having already been dealt with through my Laptop Thunderbird account.

Is there a way to delete all mails with one key stroke (in Inbox and Trash folders), or must they be laboriously deleted one at a time?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: iPad/iPhone mail

Don’t think there is a way to mass delete emails from the iOS mail app, I’ve just had a look on my iPhone.

If your mailbox is setup at POP3 you could always remove the mailbox completely through Settings, then add it back again. This process should delete your mail permanently.

If your mailbox is setup as IMAP, you may be best off going into the webmail of whichever mail provider you’re using as I imagine you’d be able to mass delete from there.

Hope this helps.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: iPad/iPhone mail

Thank's Gandalf.

Found a way of deleting quicker if not actually en-mass, In Trash, tap Edit and tap the small circle that appears alongside each mail header, this adds a blue tick, you can tap as few or as many as you like scrolling down, then tap Delete (bottom right of the column) and those selected will delete. This at least becomes a one tap operation rather than the individual swipe and confirm (if you're set that way) of single delete.

Has the advantage of giving the opportunity of not tapping a mail you want to keep, or changing your mind and un-ticking if required. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.