Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPAD

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

iPAD

I Think a new Ipad has recently made an appearance but never having owned one I know nothing about them but thinking about the amount I spend on newspapers I wonder if it would be a wise investment to get one and subscribe to a newspaper for reading on an ipad.
Is it possible to do crosswords and download things from an Ipad ?
Are there any particular snags in using an ipad.
Any advice would be appreciated
We are born into history and history is born into us.
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: iPAD

Look at the alternatives - most are cheaper and decide what you want or need for just reading a newspaper
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I Would want colour, be able to complete crosswords and puzzles, print out or at least transfer vouchers or coupons to my computer to print out and not have to be charging it up every five minutes.
I have a Kindle which I am impressed with but it's just B&W and the screen size might be a bit small for reading a paper but the actual print is excellent, so something that's easy on the eye to read and light weight like the kindle but with the other things mentioned earlier (if such a thing exists)
We are born into history and history is born into us.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I would go for a PC Tablet - http://www.tabletpcreview.com/ much cheaper and more scope for expansion. The thing with MAC products is that there is less free and open source software available, so you are trapped into having to constantly buy the software you need. At least with a PC Tablet it works just as a normal laptop (or an oversized PDA) you have freedom over software, and can easily upgrade the tablet with extra RAM, get a keyboard attachment etc.
I've had a shot of the iPAD and they are quite slick and very easy to use but they do have their limitations and a high price tag.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and you can probably change the battery yourself  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is looking like an iPad killer.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
David_W
Rising Star

I'd say, wait a while.  Avoid the cheap £99 ones though as they are resistive touch screen and really poor CPU.  The reason I say to wait, Apple brought out their iPad 2 (iPad 1.5 really) and dropped the price of their original iPad by £100, Google are going to release Honeycomb soon (or already have, is 2.2 Froyo?) which means tablet makers will release new models based on Honeycomb so the price of current "top of the range" will drop quite a lot which in turn will push down the middle of the range models, in a few months time you'll be able to pick up cheap tablets from people who want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
I would avoid Apple though, no flash support if you want to go visit sites that use Flash a lot (excluding Youtube/iPlayer as they have apps apprently) so I'd go with Android or wait for Meego which is another Linux OS (Intel/Nokia), but really, the initial cost is quite horrific for half decent models, though you can get a subsidy if you're willing to pay per month and enter a 12 month contract with a phone company.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: David
Google are going to release Honeycomb soon

...which the soon to be released Galaxy 10.1 is running. I read that Samsung held back on it's release once the iPad2 was announced.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How does it work with these touch-screen screens?
It drives me mad if someone points at something on my PC screen and leaves their greasy fingerprint on it.
Even *most* ATM's don't use touch screens.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

David_W
Rising Star

Pads like the iPad use fingerprint resistant technology for no smudges or smears, no idea how it works but it's fancy, lemme find a link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipophobicity
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re Android, afaik 2.2 is froyo and 2.3 is gingerbread - looks like honeycomb will be version 3.0 as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29#Version_history (not really relevant but thought I'd pop it in there)
David_W
Rising Star

My Nokia N900 can run Gingerbread and will be (probably) able to run Honeycomb aswell (it's open source and what-not), I believe the N900 was the first mobile in the world to be able to run Froyo!  It's not even an Android phone, that's open source for you and a major reason to avoid the iFad.