cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hypothetical radio streaming question

geewizz
Grafter

hypothetical radio streaming question

I have BBYW Option 3 and it comes down a Max ADSL connection, streaming at about 1.5Mb/s. For the sake of argument let's say that I am close to my full 30GB quota each month.
My radio has conked out and I suddenly realise that I can continue to listen to the radio by streaming the strains of BBC Radio 2 down my internet connection and then through an amp and a nice set of Tannoys.
Now, I like to have the radio on duiring most of my waking hours so this is going to break the ceiling on my usage allowance if I stream it down the ADSL.
But what if I were to open a new account on my landline and run a dial-up connection through that? Is it possible to run both simultaneously? Could I have the radio streaming at 56kb/s (it's a bit lower quality than I can achieve these days but still passable), leaving my ADSL coping with all the other internet usage?
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: hypothetical radio streaming question

Buying a cheap radio would be the most economical option.
paulh
Rising Star

you can get a serviceable DAB in Asda for £15 ... £15!
geewizz
Grafter

Allow me to extend the hypothesis slightly. Let's say that the radio transmitter doesn't cover this area any more.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, 2 internet connections into 1 PC is a bit tricky for a start.
And I would have thought the cost of a dial-up connection was significantly more than extra GB via PN.
EDit: Thanks Geewizz! Brain not in gear.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Well, 2 broadband connections into 1 PC is a bit tricky for a start.

Do you mean "two internet connections"?
Either way, there are two PCs here. One has the broadband connection from the ADSL outlet on the master BT socket (via a USB modem) and the other is still set up with the dial-up connection from the last time the ADSL broadband was not working.
The question is, can I use both at the same time?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quick answer is no you can't - a something to do with sharing an IP address.
Now if the dial up was with another provider (Freeserve was the one I had) then it will work
samuria
Grafter

It would work on plusnet if you use another account on the dial up so you get another ip
An hours steaming would take 57.6 megabytes at 128kbp.
Using dial up unless you get free calls would be dear upping you account for more usage seems the best option
geewizz
Grafter

I've tested the hypothesis and it proved to be perfectly viable. Radio streamed down the dial-up and ADSL was unaffected. Wink