Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub one - can i use the WAN port instead of the DSL port

roberkwild
Dabbler

hub one - can i use the WAN port instead of the DSL port

hi all,
i have received my hub one router but cant plug it in as my activation date is 25th Sad
im going to be getting a master double socket with a built in adsl and phone socket instead of using the mini filter they provided me
i have heard the master double socket the adsl port  is an rj45 port so i was going to connect an rj45 cable one end to the master and the other to the WAN port on the hub one router, will this work
cheers,
rob
11 REPLIES 11
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: hub one - can i use the WAN port instead of the DSL port

No.
The cable from the phone socket must be connected to the DSL port. It doesn't really matter what size connectors are on either end of the cable, so long as they fit into the sockets (and the pins are wired suitably). You can use a piece of Ethernet cable with an RJ45 plug on one end and an RJ11 plug on the other. If an RJ45 plug fits into the DSL port, then you could use a piece of ordinary Ethernet patch cable with RJ45 plugs on each end, but the RJ45 plug probably won't fit in the DSL port on the Hub One.
roberkwild
Dabbler

thanks,
so it looks like i need to get an rj45 to rj11 cable ( from master socket to the dsl port)
what is the rj45 WAN port used for
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The RJ45 WAN port could be used for connecting the ONT for people who have FTTP, or some future modem.
You don't require an RJ45 to RJ11 cable, the socket on the Openreach filtered faceplate, and I assume most others, will accept RJ45 or RJ11 plugs. A piece of CAT-5 Ethernet cable does make a good quality DSL cable though, because it's made up of twisted pairs of wires, which reduces the amount of interference it picks up. But an ordinary RJ11 to RJ11 DSL cable will work.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The Wan port can also be used if you use an Openreach or other modem, which some people prefer to do for the dsl stats that are available on an unlocked modem.
roberkwild
Dabbler

so why cant i plug in the master socket adsl cable (rj45 to rj45) to the WAN port of the router?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Because it's VDSL2 signals coming out of the phone socket, regardless of plug/socket size, and the Ethernet WAN port is not connected to the VDSL2 modem inside the Hub One.
roberkwild
Dabbler

Oh so the VDSL modem is connected to the dsl port and not the wan port?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

If you were using a separate Openreach VDSL2 modem, then the VDSL2 signals go from the phone socket into the Openreach modem, where they are processed by the modem. And then the Openreach modem provides an Ethernet connection for a router.
roberkwild
Dabbler

mmm ok so as the hub one has got a wan port can the hub one be converted to a modem only so i can connect my firewall to the wan port of the hub one
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I don't think so, no.
roberkwild
Dabbler

Great thanks for all your help